4x10 question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfnote

Reaction score
I found a mesa 4/10 that I am seriously considering. It comes with Jensen speakers, I believe the same ones that are in the Lonestar 4/10.
Are these good speakers? Can they handle the heavies or are they more for vintage tones?
I would be running my Mark IVa through it.

l_cf06d38ca0d5491e918ded0cb27da377.jpg

I have the same cab and speakers and mesa rates this cab at between 80 and 100 watts(depending on which mesa brochure you read lol)I run it with my mark 2 and 3 short heads which are all 60 watters.I also have a simul-class mark 3 and like your mark 4 at full tilt(85 watts with four 6l6,s) this would exceed the output of this cab.More importantly i think you should realise this cab will sound different to say a 4x12 or 2 x12(which is what i generally use)This cab is good for clean and crunch type stuff(excellent in fact!!!) but lacks enough bottom end for heavy rock type stuff, although i do like it for fusiony rock type lead playing.My plan was to double this up with a 2x12 for live gigs but it,s to much bother to lug two cabs about so this cab is now relegated for home use only lol.

I love 4x10 cabs. Not great for drop D chugga chugga stuff but if you want singing smooth leads they are the bomb.

I pulled the trigger, it should be here by the end of the week. I don't do much chugga chugga but I like having the option to. I really wanted a 4/10 to match up with my mark IV. If I don't dig the speakers I will sell them or trade them off.
I am thinking I would probably like the Eminence Ramrods or Rajun Cajuns or possibly the Celestion G10 Vintage.
Has anyone tried any of these in a 2x10 or 4x10 setup?
l_f86f802a8afe4e2385c6751732f43bb7.jpg

halfnote said:
I am thinking I would probably like the Eminence Ramrods or Rajun Cajuns or possibly the Celestion G10 Vintage.
I've got two Avatar 4-10" cabs loaded with Celestion G10 Vintage speakers and knowing what I know now I would order these cabs again but with different speakers. Low end is not a problem, these speakers can thump with the best of them. The problem IMO is the top end where they are seriously lacking, and for that reason I'm now considering which speakers I want to replace them with.

I use a Marshall 4x10 but I had a Mesa LSS 410 cab with Jensen and Eminence or whatever MB calls them. Fantastic sounding cab with the LSS.

t0aj15 said:
halfnote said:
I've got two Avatar 4-10" cabs loaded with Celestion G10 Vintage speakers and knowing what I know now I would order these cabs again but with different speakers. Low end is not a problem, these speakers can thump with the best of them. The problem IMO is the top end where they are seriously lacking, and for that reason I'm now considering which speakers I want to replace them with.

You want to swap 2 for 2?
From what I have read the jensens accentuate the highs more than the lows. I'm going to start by just replacing two of them and see what that does.

I have a Blue Angel head with a 2x10 Mesa cabinet (a special order) but I cannot identify the speakers.

They are Eminence with the ribbed cone.
The sticker says 762525 and the model number is 10714 8ohm.

Serial numbers are 67 - 97 49 0061 G1 and 67 - 97 25 0162 G1.

Do you know what model these speakers are and whether the G1 means "alnico"?
Thanks in advance!
Daniel

I have a 4x10 cab. closed back with a port at the bottom. It's loaded with Jensen Mod 50 speakers. Great low end, nice clear articulated highs, very punchy sound. I like it best of all my cabs with my Heartbreaker head.

I love Eminence speakers, but these Jensens I think are often overlooked and under rated.

FWIW

ty

igfraso said:
I have a Blue Angel head with a 2x10 Mesa cabinet (a special order) but I cannot identify the speakers.

They are Eminence with the ribbed cone.
The sticker says 762525 and the model number is 10714 8ohm.

I talked to Eminence. They say these speakers are similar to the Legend 102P (discontinued) and have been frequently used by Mesa Boogie in the past. They are Alnico and can handle 20 watt.
Regards
Daniel

halfnote said:
t0aj15 said:
halfnote said:

You want to swap 2 for 2?
No thanks, Actually I'm looking to sell all eight.

ned said:
I use a Marshall 4x10 but I had a Mesa LSS 410 cab with Jensen and Eminence or whatever MB calls them. Fantastic sounding cab with the LSS.
+1. A Lonestar Classic 4x10 combo is among the best sounds I've gotten from any amplifier. I found the Jensens to have a great bass presence, the mids were well-balanced, and the highs were not harsh. I think 4x10s are greatly overlooked.

Well I got the 4x10 yesterday and I will be shipping it out by the end of the week.
Right away I hated the speakers. Decent clean sound but they don't take distortion very well.
I don't care for the open back either, not enough punch.
Not a bad cab, just not for me.

2x12's and 4x12's it is

Latest posts

Back