4cables method problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nardi89

Reaction score
Hi guys.. i'm trying to connect my boss gt8 pedalboard using the four cables method. That should not bypass the head and let me use the pedalboard only for the effects. But i've some problems.. first of all the quality sound is really bad, and some effects like delay, chorus, distortions does not work at all.. just like bypassed.
BTW what i've done..
1. Guitar-input gt-8
2. send gt-8-input MKV
3. send MKV-return gt-8
4. output gt-8-return MKV
Gt8 loop not active.

Can someone please help me out of this? Anyone use boss gt pedalboards with mkV?

Thanks

Wait, my bad...Obviously Gt8 external loop active and preamp functions inactive.

That is exactly how I use my GT-10. The only thing I could imagine is the FX is not active on the MkV. The whole setup is pretty quiet. The distortion introduces too much noise (IMO). I don't use the models. I also use the AMP switching feature. So I can go from one channel to the next using one tap. I keep the footswitch plugged at all time. By using an insulated A/B box on the AMP switching 1/4" I can select prior to a song, Channel2 or Channel3 to be activated by the GT-10. Sorry I'm diverging.

Yes it works, but the problem is that only fx1 and fx2 works, phaser flanger etc. Separeted effects just like reverb chorus delay, various overdrives not. Loop actived. Preamp functions, eq and compressor disactived. All connected in the right position but it does not works. No way to get out of this, ****.. i need your help boogiemans.

Well! Your connections are definitely alright. By flying over the GT-8 manual and it seems like the GT-10 where the external loop can be placed about anywhere in the FX-chain just double check its where it should be, next the external loop mode should be NORMAL so the signal returns after being feed in the preamp of the MkV. Lastly the FX loop on the MkV has to be activated. Look at the back of the amp for the LOOP ASSIGN knob. It should be on ON ALL or alternatively on FT SW to control it with the footswitch as you wish. If its off during your tests, the signal might be forwarded directly to the poweramp stage without being sent back to the GT-8 for further effecting where typicaly delay, reverb take place. This is speculating I'll have to check on my setup to be sure.

Good luck

Just got it checked and indeed when the MkV FX loop is inactive the signal that is sent back to the bOSS return jack will simply get to thepower stage and never get back to the multieffects. I would suggest to make sure you can follow the signal throught the FX chain within the GT-8 and that the order of the individual effect is what you want.

These gt-x series can be intimidating at first. You need the manual if its your first BOSS unit.

Don't give up.

LPJunky said:
Just got it checked and indeed when the MkV FX loop is inactive the signal that is sent back to the bOSS return jack will simply get to thepower stage and never get back to the multieffects. I would suggest to make sure you can follow the signal throught the FX chain within the GT-8 and that the order of the individual effect is what you want.

These gt-x series can be intimidating at first. You need the manual if its your first BOSS unit.

Don't give up.

Ok i've fixed the problem, the Pedalboard's FX Chain was not setted right. Now i've some new ones.
About clean tones, all goes right, but in 2ch and 3ch the effects comes distorted. The reverb, delay or what else it is comes distorted. Logically, i've thought that the general FX chain is not setted right using the 4 cables method. From the guitar the sound comes into the pedalboard and assume the effects. Then, all goes into the head and logically been distorted if we are not using channel 1.
So.. Wtf? :)
What do you think?

Ah! Still not happy? We're never completely happy and it changes day to day but first you have to make sure the SEND/RETURN is at the correct place in your FX chain. Meaning that is were your guitar signal will get to one of 3 preamps in the MkV. Signal returns get through reverb/delay/ect effects and go out via OUTPUT to the retun on the head (power amp) If you play loud enough you'll get some distortion from the power stage.

Reminder 1. The FX chain that you configured is on a patch by pach basis, so start by copying a pacth properly setuup for the FX Chain you want to use

I assumed that all amp sims have been turned off in your BOSS GT?

I also have to pay attention to signal level before and after each effect block.

Keep digging, you'll be rewarded in the end.

Aaaahhh i got it man! Finally free! :p

For anyone else who wants to use his gt8 pedalboard with the MarkV, the solution is simple, forget fuckin' four cables method.
Simply..
Guitar -> Input Markv
Send Markv ->Input gt8
Send gt8 -> Return Markv
STOP

And just:
-Activate loop on the gt8
-Disactive any distortion, sims and preamp functions on the gt8
-Set effects activated on the patch you're using on the FX chain of the gt8 (Written in capital letters)
-Now just push FX button on the MKV pedalboard to activate effects

It works on any channel, of course. :wink:

Well, that's the traditional way of hooking up just effects. If you want to use the GT-8's OD models, you have to hook it up using 4 cables method.

Connecting your way, you wont be able to use the wah pedal models on the GT-8 for example.

I know that this is the traditional method, but nobody says that it was possible with a gt8 and a markv. I dont think it's so important boss overdrives and distortions with this amp. I think it's more important to be able to use clearly effects on every channel and be able to disactive it to use only the preamp with a single button on the Amp pedalboard.
Whatevet I'm happy to have found that this simple method works well, beacuse untill yesterday i have found no posts on the web that says to connect the gt8 simply like this. Everyone says.. 4cables, 4cables, 4cables. But why? To use the fuckin horrible wah and let the effects been distorted? Bah

Nardi89 said:
I know that this is the traditional method, but nobody says that it was possible with a gt8 and a markv. I dont think it's so important boss overdrives and distortions with this amp. I think it's more important to be able to use clearly effects on every channel and be able to disactive it to use only the preamp with a single button on the Amp pedalboard.
Whatevet I'm happy to have found that this simple method works well, beacuse untill yesterday i have found no posts on the web that says to connect the gt8 simply like this. Everyone says.. 4cables, 4cables, 4cables. But why? To use the f%&# horrible wah and let the effects been distorted? Bah

How do you really feel about it? :twisted:

Latest posts

Back