410 Powerhouse troubleshooting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tschuschka

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm currently in a process of repairing a 4x10 Mesa Powerhouse. I got this one for 80 CAD of Facebook Marketplace. It's from 2004, I believe.

The guy told me that one of the speakers was not working, which didn't turn out to be true. The cab was sounding fine until I decided to check its impedance, which was low. I checked all the speakers and found out the tweeter-horn was not giving any signs of life (multimeter read as nonconductive). I have successfully replaced it with the same model from the Mesa website.

This didn't fix my impedance issue though, so now I've decided to check the impedance of all 4 speakers, and they read 4.5 Ohm and the total impedance of the cab is showing 4.6 Ohm. Now, measuring the resistance of a speaker will always show a value less than its impedance, but this seems a little bit too low to me (this model is supposed to be 8 ohm).

So here I am, afraid to plug in a tube amp so it doesn't burn lol. My question to you is if it is a reasonable suspicion that an 8 ohm speaker cab shouldn't have a 4.5 resistance. If it is reasonable - what should I do next? lol

Back