4 el84's 50 watts???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drdos

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question on the Caliber .50 head loaded with el84's... How can this amp be a class A amp rated at 50 watts with only 4 el84's... Thanks for the info... :)

An EL84 can safely put out 12 1/2 watts per tube,times four would be 50 watts.If the .50 Cal actually lives up to its claim or not,I cant say for sure.Many amp makers do exagerate or "round off" the output,for instance,its not uncommon to claim 50 watts for an amp that is actually putting out 45 watts.I have never measured a .50 Cal's output,but the 50watt claim is not far fetched at all.I would be more skeptical of the class A claim,many amps claim class A and arent.

Yeah but if the amp is true class A the tubes should only run 8-9 watts per.... Class AB would be 12-13 watts.

Like I said,many amps claim class A and arent.There is a lot of discrepancy as to what constitutes class A,and many manufacturers abuse the hell out of the classification.I havent had an opportunity to work on any .50 Cal's but a look at the schem tells me the amp is not a true class A amp. 400+volts on the plates is way to high to bias EL84's into class A.

Thanks Stokes... I figured it to be a A/B class amp. I hate the BS advertising on products like amps. I know that venders do this to raise the price on products. Anyway. Thanks

I don't ever recall the EL84 Cal.50 advertised by Mesa as a Class A amp. If it is billed as such, it's that seller's ignorance or dishonesty ...your call.

Edward

I'm not sure how the .50 has been advertised, but the cal .22 which also is class AB, has a Class A label on the rear.

Kortlanda said:
I'm not sure how the .50 has been advertised, but the cal .22 which also is class AB, has a Class A label on the rear.

Uh oh ...does the .50 cal have said sticker at the back? The EL version is so rare, but I honestly never recall seeing a Class-A moniker or ever seeing it billed as a Class A amp. My bad if it does have it.

Edward

Back