3 16 ohm cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WardP

Reaction score
I wont bother going into a long and convoluted explanation as to how I came to have 3 cabinets (as I only wanted 2) but I was wondering if there was a problem running all 3 from the mini rectifier? I have used the search function and came up with some interesting information but couldn't find the specific answer to my question.

I was thinking of running my mini recto stack (head + 2 1x12 cabs) on my side of the stage and running the third cab across near my bass player who often has trouble hearing me if we are not playing through a PA system big enough to facilitate different monitor sends. From my understanding if the cabinets were daisy chained it would drop the ohmage to 5.33ohms. Would that be a problem? would you run it out of the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm jack or shelve the idea and keep it as a spare?

Any advice would be appreciated...... cheers :D

WardP said:
I wont bother going into a long and convoluted explanation as to how I came to have 3 cabinets (as I only wanted 2) but I was wondering if there was a problem running all 3 from the mini rectifier? I have used the search function and came up with some interesting information but couldn't find the specific answer to my question.

I was thinking of running my mini recto stack (head + 2 1x12 cabs) on my side of the stage and running the third cab across near my bass player who often has trouble hearing me if we are not playing through a PA system big enough to facilitate different monitor sends. From my understanding if the cabinets were daisy chained it would drop the ohmage to 5.33ohms. Would that be a problem? would you run it out of the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm jack or shelve the idea and keep it as a spare?

I would run the 2 1x12 (mini-stack) cabs in parallel (daisy chained) for a total of 8 ohms, and plug that into the 4 ohm speaker output, while running the third 16 ohm cab on it's own from the 8 ohm speaker output. This is a "safe mismatch" and is listed as such in speaker hookup #5 on page 27 of your owners manual.

Dom

WardP said:

you can daisy chain them all together for your calculated load of 5.33 ohms and use the 8 ohm output. most speakers rated at 16 ohms will usually measure less than 16 ohms and more than 8. you might want to use an ohm meter to measure the total load after they are all hooked together. anything more than 4 ohms and less than 16 will be ok to use with the 8 ohm output.

Thanks guys, looks like I can use all 3 cabinets. I appreciate the input and Dom you are right about the safe mismatch as listed in the owners manual.

All good to rock out 8)

Latest posts

Back