2x12 Recto cab for Mark V...horizontal or vertical ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdy

Reaction score
OK....Mark V medium head next week for me :mrgreen:

Besides the footprint(width) difference in the cabs, any pros/cons tone wise ?
I'm leaning towards the vertical.

Single most important thing that made me get the vert was I dont have to bend down to knee height every time I touch a knob on my amp. That would really pose a problem for us tweakaholics. :wink: I played them both at the store and I didn't hear a huge difference.

ryjan said:
Single most important thing that made me get the vert was I dont have to bend down to knee height every time I touch a knob on my amp. That would really pose a problem for us tweakaholics. :wink: I played them both at the store and I didn't hear a huge difference.

Hey ryjan. I never even thought about that...good point man.

I know this is not relevant to your question, but I just was wondering how it feels to have BOTH the Mark V and Electra Dyne? AWESOME!!

IMHO the horizontal 2X12 is one of the best if not the best sounding cabs Mesa makes . Cant say enough about that cab .

Barry said:
IMHO the horizontal 2X12 is one of the best if not the best sounding cabs Mesa makes . Cant say enough about that cab .

I agree! I have a 2x12 vertical cab and not only does it sound great it looks uber cool on stage too!

ryjan said:
Dont think I would buy a cab because I dont have to bend down or not though . My ears would be making the choice before my knees . We all have different priorities though

I have a vertical....best cab I have ever owned. Easy to transport compared to a 4x12, yet angled so you can actually hear what's coming out of the cab without lying on the floor or standing 20 feet away.

Barry said:
ryjan said:
Dont think I would buy a cab because I dont have to bend down or not though . My ears would be making the choice before my knees . We all have different priorities though
It didn't hurt that the vertical projected the sound a ton better than the smaller horizontal cab.

Oldschool said:
Barry said:

I agree :!:

Agreed once again. The horizontal 2x12 made my V sound MUCH better than a friends straight 4x12 when a/b'ed. I tried the vertical cab at Mesa Hollywood and I didn't like it's boxy tone at all. It shares the qualities most 4x12s have that I can't stand.

Try both if you can.. if you care more about looks then go for the vertical, if you care about tone then go for the horizontal.

It's a trade-off. The horizontal 2x12 sounds better probably due to the wider/bigger footprint and the vertical "feels" better since you don't have to bend down.

Glad to hear all these good reviews of the 2x12's, I ordered a Vertical Recto 2x12 from Mesa Hollywood today. Had a 4x12 and sold it due to back pain, been living with my Egnater 2x12 for a few months. It's a pretty nice little cab, but looking forward to getting back the the Boogie cab.

I've heard both back to back. The horizontal has more lows and the vertical has more highs. It's all about the cab heights and inherent speaker orientation though. I would go with the vertical even though it's heavier than the horizontal. I had a horizontal and sold it in favor of the 3/4 back cab I still have.

Latest posts

Back