2X12 or 4X12?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKinger483

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Would a 2X12 cab be just as loud as a 4X12 cab? Could this be thee reason why I feel my RK combo is not loud enough on the clean channel? I was use to hearing a DR with a 4X12 cab.

Well you are moving less air with a 2x12, as compared to a 4x12. This is probably why is is a little quieter. The speaker load impedance shouldn't make a difference in terms of volume as far as a 4 ohm load or an 8 ohm load, etc.

It depends on the sensitivity rating of the speaker.

For example, a certain speaker may have a 97db rating- which usually means that how loud it is with one watt at one meter with a SPL meter.

Other speaker models may rate at, say, 100db... and a 3db increase is considerable. It is @ the equivalent of raising the level of your guitar for a solo in a given mix.

Now back to the overall picture here: if your 2x12 cab has the exact same model speakers that the 4x12 cab you are comparing it to running it at the same output level on the amplifier, sure- you can say the 4x12 IS a louder cab.

Latest posts

Back