2nd cab for ROV combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDS

Reaction score
I'd like to add a second cab to my ROV series 1 combo. We play blues rock based material and I was wanting this new cab to tighten up the bass response of the ROV just a little bit more. Does anyone have any suggestions on what cabs work well with ROV combos? (I was originally thinking about snagging a 2-12 horizontal recto cab.)

My main axe is a Tom Anderson Cobra with humbuckers if that influences the cab choice at all. Thanks! :D

I've heard good things about a Vintage 30 cab matching with the Black Shadow in the combo. The V30 supposedly has more mid-range bite.

KDS said:
I'd like to add a second cab to my ROV series 1 combo. We play blues rock based material and I was wanting this new cab to tighten up the bass response of the ROV just a little bit more. Does anyone have any suggestions on what cabs work well with ROV combos? (I was originally thinking about snagging a 2-12 horizontal recto cab.)

My main axe is a Tom Anderson Cobra with humbuckers if that influences the cab choice at all. Thanks! :D

TheRazMeister said:
I've heard good things about a Vintage 30 cab matching with the Black Shadow in the combo. The V30 supposedly has more mid-range bite.

Thanks for the input Raz.

Does anyone know what the differences are with the roadster and stiletto cabs? They are both closed back and have V30's in them.

When I was looking for a cab for my stiletto ace 1x12, I called Mesa and he guy there recommended the 2x12 horz. recto cabinet over any other extention cab for adding a solid bottom end to the ace. I got one and it sounds great (huge), he seemed to know what he was talking about. :p

Invest a call, see what they say.

HTH - dstefani

I used to have a slant 2x12 recto, didn't care for it at all.
I don't know about flab, it just sounded kinda' funky.

- dstefani

If my rich uncle died and left me some cash, I'd like to try a couple of tone tubby's in my horz recto 2x12. :p

- dstefani

Although I have been eying the weber british series:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Specifically this one:
AlNiCo 1230-55

With the one ceramic in the combo this might make an interesting combination as a replacement for the 2x12 cab speakers.

Of course I'm more of a Jazz/Rock to old rock blues guy, shredders may take issue with that set up! The ace has enough high end to make an AlNiCo go nuts.:twisted:

- dstefani

"A matching 3/4 1x12 would make a kickass mini-stack and I believe the 3/4 1x12 would have a tighter bass response than the oversized recto 2x12 which is rather flabby"

I could definitely do without flabby! I will look into a 3/4 cab. Thanks! :D

I have a 2x12 Avatar with V30's that sounds nice with my ROV combo. I think I would like to have a 3/4 back 1x12 widebody combo to match it though.

I've never tried the mesa 2x12 but I have a custom audio electronics 2x12 (currently sold by John Suhr), and it is a nice and tight cab. I put 2 v30's in it, although have heard they also sound good with eminence governors. I can only compare it to my mesa 4x12, since it's the only other cab i've owned. It has less bass but that's always going to happen when going from a 4x12 to 2x12, but definitely found it to be a tight cabinet. Then again, some people find tight to mean 'stiff', but it handled the bass on my dual recto well.

Latest posts

Back