25k VS 500k Volume pot?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
He guys, I'm wondering, if I use 25k pots for my passive pickups at FULL volume! Will there be some tone degradation?
My assumption is that at full it is letting the signal right through? Is this correct?
Reason is that I had an EMG Active in my guitar but now I use passive BUT the passive vol and tone pots are too short and aren't made to fit in my routed guitar!

Please give me some insight to this
Thanks guys XD

You can get long shaft pots like these http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&G=2&sku=3755&ITEM=catalog/sku.html that will solve the problem and make your controls useable.

25K pots will allow more of the high end of the guitar bleed off to ground. Typically HB equiped guitars have 500K pots and sigle coils have 250K pots. The is no stead fast rule though. Some people put in 1M pots to retain even more top end. It just depends on hot bright you want your guitar to sound. I think you will be unhappy with the 25k pots.

chris_EIT said:
He guys, I'm wondering, if I use 25k pots for my passive pickups at FULL volume! Will there be some tone degradation?
My assumption is that at full it is letting the signal right through? Is this correct?
Reason is that I had an EMG Active in my guitar but now I use passive BUT the passive vol and tone pots are too short and aren't made to fit in my routed guitar!

Please give me some insight to this
Thanks guys XD

25k pots provide way to much resistance to passive pickups. Using a 25k will make your guitar sound completely dark and kill almost all the treble.Don't do it.

Latest posts

Back