2 heads, 1 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott K

Reaction score
Hey guys... I have a Mark IV and a JCM 800, and was wondering if there is a way to run these two heads simultaneously through one cab. The Tonebone pedals I checked out were only to switch the amps A/B. Is it even possible to do this, or do I need two cabs? If I need two cabs, what do I need to run both simultaneously? I think the sound would be pretty awesome together.

Thanks!

Scott K said:
Hey guys... I have a Mark IV and a JCM 800, and was wondering if there is a way to run these two heads simultaneously through one cab. The Tonebone pedals I checked out were only to switch the amps A/B. Is it even possible to do this, or do I need two cabs? If I need two cabs, what do I need to run both simultaneously? I think the sound would be pretty awesome together.

Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure about whether you can run both simultaneously into the same cab, although I think it would be possible. However, if you get another cab, may I suggest investing in one of these:

http://www.loop-master.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=40

It lets you plug the guitar into that magic little box, and then splits the signal (just the pure guitar signal) with one line going to the Mark IV and one going to the JCM 800 with the option of clicking the switch between the two, and then hitting another switch to have them both going at the same time.

I'd highly recommend this kind of set-up - I have a Mark IIC and a THD Flexi 50 that I run in this way, and it's possible to get some ridiculously nice tones that just aren't possible with one amp. For example, you have one dialled in to a pristine clean and you add some delay, and then have the other set on a searing lead and run them both at the same time and you can get some wonderful textures - the clean brings a percussive level to the lead tone that is just unattainable any other way.

Good luck on finding what you're looking for!

All you need is an ABY switch to split your signal....thing is that you may need another cab. I'm not sure how one cab would handle the wattage of two heads.

transgression11 said:
wat about a stereo cab? I know the mesa trad 4 x 12 can do this.

Would that allow 2 heads to run simultaneously? I might just go ahead and buy another cab. Has anyone played through the Diezel Cab (V30s)?

Scott, this is what you want:

Axess Electronics HS2

I use three Axess devices. Mario Marino at Axess builds them solid and treats you like a king. Tell him I sent you!

p_hs2r.jpg

cvansickle said:
Scott, this is what you want:

Axess Electronics HS2

I use three Axess devices. Mario Marino at Axess builds them solid and treats you like a king. Tell him I sent you!

p_hs2r.jpg

They are cool products, but won't run the two heads simultaneously.

A splitter and additional cab would do the trick, though.

the reason it won't work is because you have resistance (OHMs) issues to worry about. if 2 heads are plugged into the same cabinet then the likelyhood of the resistance between components not matching is great, and one of the pieces could easily be damaged. and especially with tube amps , if they aren't connected to their own load (a speaker) all the time they can be damaged.

I have the new Carvin V3 head and the Road King running together. I use the Axess BS2 buffer splitter.

This unit is made to clean up your degrading signal and/or run 2 amps simultaneously. I've also tried the Tonebone JX2..which works quietly and just as good and have tried the Mesa High Gain amp switcher. Works amazing. I only use the Axess box to save space. As far as 2 heads to 1 cab...yes it does work very well with 1 4x12 stereo cab, i.e. Marshall 1960a/b and the Mesa Recto cabs and any other stereo cab. Or use 2 cabs.

The units such as the HS2 and the Tonebone Headbone only switches back and forth between 2 heads to 1 cab...but not running together. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

If it's a stereo cab then it will work. When it's in stereo mode it's just like having 2 seperate 2x12's only they share one cabinet.

This will enable you to use 2 heads with one cabinet.
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

Riddick.

Hi Scott K,

You have a number of options, but you have to decide where you want to compromise...

* If you want two amps into a single mono cab - then look at the various head switchers on the market (products from Radial and Axess have already been suggested). They are fairly expensive because they have complicated circuitry that maintains a correct load on the amp not being used, whilst the mono cab is connected to the amp that IS being used. The strength is that all of the speakers in your mono cab will be used at all times. The compromise is that you cannot use BOTH heads at the same time.

* If you want two amps into a single stereo cab - then all you'll need are the speaker leads to connect them up. The compromise is that only half of the speakers in your cab will be used at any one time.

* If you want two amps into two mono cabs - then look at the dozens of AB and ABY pedals on the market. The pedal is placed between your guitar and the two amp inputs, and because such pedals work with guitar level signals, they are pretty inexpensive. It is worth paying more for transformer isolated designs however (e.g. check out the Dual from www.lehle.com ) as they will avoid humming loop problems. AB pedals will often only allow you to choose between amp A or amp B. ABY pedals also give you the option of running amp A and amp B at the same time.

An ABY pedal seems like the ideal scenario for you, but the compromise is that you will need those two mono cabs to cart around.

An interesting mix of compromises would be an ABY pedal with a single stereo cab. Half of the speakers would be used during A and B modes, and all of the speakers during Y mode. I have no doubt that a JCM800 mixed with a Mark IV would sound awesome! 8)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Well...I just bought a Diezel cabinet a few months ago, so I'm just going o play Marshall to Marshall cab...Mesa to Diezel cab!

Kung-Fool said:
If it's a stereo cab then it will work. When it's in stereo mode it's just like having 2 seperate 2x12's only they share one cabinet.

Exactly. I have done this before. Dual Recto and DSL100 through the same Marchall 1960 Vintage 4x12.

Ran the cab in stereo. It'slike having 2 2x12s at 8 ohms a piece.

Latest posts

Back