2 EVM12L's in recto 2x12....Good idea?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone compared the EVM 12L that came with vintage Boogies to the new EVM 12L Classic?

Am I correct in assuming the Black Shadow labeled ones are/sound the same as the OEM's with no label?
It seems that I've seen them both as stock vintage Boogie speakers.

Mongo1 said:
Has anyone compared the EVM 12L that came with vintage Boogies to the new EVM 12L Classic?

Am I correct in assuming the Black Shadow labeled ones are/sound the same as the OEM's with no label?
It seems that I've seen them both as stock vintage Boogie speakers.

yeah, i think that's just what they had lying around.

i bought a 4x12 80's metal grille cab a while back and it had one labelled and one not. for all i could see and tell from the setup, it was the same speaker and i couldn't tell the difference between the two speakers sound-wise.

i still have one of them and though i don't play it quite that much, it sounds awesome in the bogner cube i got.

I just received an email from my EV rep and they will be here on Friday!!! I do have a question though and hopefully some on here can point me in the right direction.
I know speakers need to be broken in, does that include the EVM12L ? Wondering that due to the fact that they will never break up when pushed hard...... :?:

kingdomheights777 said:
I just received an email from my EV rep and they will be here on Friday!!! I do have a question though and hopefully some on here can point me in the right direction.
I know speakers need to be broken in, does that include the EVM12L ? Wondering that due to the fact that they will never break up when pushed hard...... :?:

Yes they will need to be broken in, just like every other speaker.

Well I finally got them in and I installed them the other day. I went ahead and put both EV's in the 2x12 Vert Recto. All of my gear is in my office, so I came in early yesterday morning to be able to crank it without bothering anybody. HOLY CRAP, the clarity is insane! The clean is not harsh and piercing anymore, its more rounded and thick. The second channel on Mark 1 mode is thick but incredibly mean sounding very easy on the ears. Now on to the 3rd channel on Mark IV mode with brightness on (no scooped mids) , i was able to have it cranked at practice room volume and I popped one ear plug out just to see if being directly in front about 6 feet away was going to kill me and it didn't. That harshness and brittleness that the V30's gave off is no where to be found on the EV's. Now don't get me wrong , I can very well see how the V30's are beneficial during certain situations, especially for recording.

I have been using the ev for years. Simpley the best speaker you can put in your Mark V or IV.
I had purchased EV12L before my mark v combo got here for the sole purpose of removing the C90 .

I would not give up on the V30 speaker . At this time Im using a wide body cab with a EV 12L and a Recto cab with 2 v 30s.
You get the clean with the crunch and the sound is amazing.
The V 30 was a great speaker before they started making them in China.

thanks

Neal

Latest posts

Back