2:90 or 20/20?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sereth

Reaction score
Hello.

I just got my Triaxis, and it was wonderfull to get away from the 6505, and get some mesa love again.

However, i am running it with a Valvestate 8008 now. It's a rather cheap poweramp, and when i first have the Triaxis, i wanna at least get a decent poweramp to boot.

I'm thinking it'll be either the 20/20 or the 2:90. I understand that the 2:90 is made (more or less) for the triaxis?
How much of a sound difference will it be?
I assume the 2:90 will cost me abit more, but it seems easier to get a hand of one, than a 20/20.

I play mostly metall, so i'm not too worried about shimmering cleans and so on.

- Sereth

I'll start off by stating that I've never used a 20/20.

I have used/owned a number of EL84 amps however, and in my opinion EL84s are all about the cleans and overdrive. They're not so good for tight, chugga chugga type stuff.

I would aim for the 2:90.

20/20's go for about $500 on ebay and 2:90's go for $600 to $700.

+1 on the 2:90. You will enjoy the modern voice on it.

scott

I think the question is: "how strong is your back"! The 2:90 works harmoniously with the Triaxis but weighs a ton in a rack. The 20/20 is much lighter but you may sacrifice some tonal oomph.

me and my buddy both own a triaxis.....he has a 290 and I have a 20/20...both of us have owned our rigs about ten years. so I have extensive experience with both.

you cannot go wrong with either....the 20/20 is much more portable....the 290 is heavy as hell. the 20/20 has great el 84 sound and the 290 is more versatile with the voicing options.

you can easily use the 20/20 and find the sweet spot without a "hot plate"....you cannot come close to pushing the power tubes on the 290 without a "hot plate" or a power attenuator of some kind.

but dont worry the 20/20 can rip your head off with volume if you want it to.

click the link below and you can hear a tune recorded with a 20/20 and triaxis. also the tunes in my signature below were done with the 20/20 as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1123338&songID=9905539&showPlayer=true

masque said:
click the link below and you can hear a tune recorded with a 20/20 and triaxis. also the tunes in my signature below were done with the 20/20 as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1123338&songID=9905539&showPlayer=true
I've never ownded either, I just wanted to mention how great that song is! Great job!

Danimal said:
masque said:

I've never ownded either, I just wanted to mention how great that song is! Great job!

hey thanks a bunch I really appreciate it!!!!

Latest posts

Back