2:90 Knob problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickPitt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2:90 and when I got it the knobs are incredibly loose. I took them off to find it isn't the knob, it was the little plastic shaft of the pot that was loose. Now this wouldn't be an issue, but for whatever reasons I cannot change or adjust the presence control on the A side, and both volume and presence on the B side. How do I fix this? I opened up the top, but I can't get to the pots to see what needs to be tightened.

Are you kidding or what !!!???
knobs have a little screw.
screw them !!!!!!
:shock:

Actually I'm quite serious, because that is not the problem. Again, the problem is the plastic shaft that the knob sits on. That piece itself is loose inside the pot. I'm not stupid, I know more or less basic fixes. I'm just not going to fiddle around taking apart a power amp.

so are you sayng that pot's axis are loose ?
When you turn them without the knobs are they working ?
If not you have to change them.
Buy new ones or send it to mesa.

Is it the left or right side pots looking from the front? The right side is A ***** to fix and requires taking a lot of things apart where the controls on the left are much easier to get to.

You might be able to repair the pots but it will probably take removing the pot anyway so you probably should just replace it.

Greg

I tried experimenting here's what I found:

With the 2:90 run in stereo, if I push the knob a certain way (any of them) it cuts off the B side. The B side has no effect on the A side. However, my presence seems to have only an "on" and an "off", turning the knob does nothing. Also, if the presence is "on" on the A side, if I press the presence knob on the B side the wrong way, the presence shuts "off". I also haven't been able to get the B side to work for quite some time now.

I think I'm going to just ship it out to Mesa. My question is now, will Mesa just do a refurb? When I bought it (used) it was in pretty rough shape, a lot of screws missing, something jangling around inside, the faceplate was pretty bent, and these two problems with the knobs. I want to see if mesa can just fix everything that needs fixing/adjusting, and fit it with the newer faceplates. Will they do that, and how much would something like that cost? Do they call it a "setup" like they do to get guitars working in the best possible way??

dude you are crazy period.
Obviously mesa will fix it,for god's sake mesa did it.
How much ?
well we don't have cristall balls.
Well I have metal balls :lol:

They do not have the old style face plate and I don't know if the two are compatible. It will probably be an hour - 2 hours of tech work to replace the pot but I don't know about all of the other stuff you want. Maybe they will take care of any other problems but just replacing the pot on the right side (what is that the B channel? It's been a while since I had my 290 here infront of me) is a pretty good job.

You might be able to have a local person do it so don't rule that out. Shipping a lone should cover the repair costs of a good tech.

Greg

When I got my triaxis I had to send it out to get a scratchy pot fixed. It cost about 109 dollars and took about a week I recall. They do not have any older face plates but I was told a new front can be put onto an older 2:90, it just requires more work. I'm sure if you asked them they would be willing to bring it back up to snuff.

i had the 395 power with same knob problem as yours.
2 of mine was the presence & vol knob on chnl A.They were loose.
But doesnt affect the chnl B.
I had to hold the knobs to make it work.
I did actually opened it up and found that some part were missing on the pots.
Obviously someone fucked up with the amp.Check yours.
i still yet to find a time to fix it.
arghh,the nightmare with used gears..

It sounds like your 290 is in bad shape.Just send it to Mesa.Let them pimp it.

yeah I want to send it to mesa, but I just don't want to pay for shipping and send it to mesa only to find out it'll cost me a few hundred bucks. Would a tech be able to do something this, or should I definitely send it to mesa?

Back