1x12 or 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogi-wan

Reaction score
Recently, I had the opportunity to play with a loaner Marshall 1x12 for several weeks, which I "converted" into an extension cabinet for my F-30 1x12. It was really the first time I ever played through more than one speaker, and the fullness of the sound was great! I enjoyed it so much that I am thinking of picking up an extension cabinet but don't know if I should get a 1x12 or a 2x12.

So I'd like to hear from the voices of experience. Will I be giving up anything by not getting a 1x12 and by instead going with a 2x12?

If you can afford it and you don't mind having lots of boxes, get two 1x12s instead of a 2x12. Way more possibilities.

Unless you match the configuration in your combo then it will be "off", but that might be what you want...

To explain what I mean:

- Two 12s on the bottom will sound like its louder than the 1x12 on top when you increase the volume.
- Two 12s will have less bass response than a 1x12. Some bass frequencies are canceled out in a 2x12.
- Which cabinet(s) will you mic at gigs?

Bottom line is, its easier to go with a 1x12/matching cabinet to get the sound off the floor (with one of the cabinets on top of the other) and doesn't complicate mixing/recording/mic'ing because its a "matching" cabinet. Just mic one of them.

So get a non-matching cabinet if you want a different sound, get a matching 1x12 if you just want more of what you got. I love the portability and tone of stacked 1x12s.

go for a freda 1x12.... its vented..... more bass responce than a thiele and a wider spread than any other cab i've heard... they make 1x12s and 2x12s.... i think for your situation a 1x12 will do.... their 1x12s can compete volume wise with a 2x12 anyday and they're very light weight

www.fredacabs.com

Mr_You said:
- Two 12s will have less bass response than a 1x12. Some bass frequencies are canceled out in a 2x12.

The only way the bass frequencies will be canceled out is if the cabinets are out of phase. By this logic, a 4x12 would have even LESS bass, and we all know that's not the case.

Let me spin this another way as this might make more sense and better reflect what I'm wondering:

Assume you have no amp whatsoever. You get a head, and you're going to get just a single cabinet. Size and weight are not considerations. Do you go with a 1x12 or a 2x12?

2x12 is my vote, as that is what I'm looking into now.

Question now is...which box? :roll:

8)

I've played through the Roadster 2X12. It really moves air, even at lower output settings.

Back