1980/81 Mesa Boogie Mark 2B for sale - excellent cond.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespwr101

Reaction score
I own an '80/81 Mark 2B. 60 watt version. No EQ, just presence and effects loop on back, w/extension outlet.
Amp just retubed, and a factory cap job was done by Mike B. The amp is blond w/a brown/beige grill. No rips, tears, snags, dings, dents, not even a scratch on the face plate. No cigarette burns either. Amp is totally original other than caps/tubes. Amp will do the Joe Walsh gain thing using the 1/4" jack under chassis and an active volume pedal.
Amp has the original Altec Lansing white bucket 12" spk-model 4178-H, 8 ohms. Never reconed and sounds right and tight. Also original cover and F/S.
I am the original owner(58 yrs old) and my back can't handle moving this amp around any more so I have decided to let her go. I have had this amp appraised and the figure was between $3000.00, to $5000.00. I recently have seen one on line for over $5700.00. I personally would rate this amp at as near a 10 as possible, not because it's mine. But because of it's condition. So the question is where do we go from here. I will entertain offers between the 2 figures quoted. I figure that is the logical thing to do. Own a piece of history. Also have typed-hand written schematic signed by Randall Smith.
Pics furnished upon request. Please don't ask me to disassemble the amp as I just broke my left humorous.
I will check this board, but you can contact me directly-EAST COAST TIME 11am-7pm.
Here's me info:
[email protected]
Thanks,
Dennis 8)

Your appraiser has misled you. If you do a search on ebay for Boogie Mark IIB, and then choose "sold listings", you will see what they have been selling for. The range is $600 (no eq, somewhat beat up) to $1500 (loaded, with hardwood cab)

I recently bought an '81 60W IIB with reverb, no eq, Celestion speaker, in excellent condition for $800. Since you have the blonde cab, that might add $50 or $100, and the Altec speaker might add $150-$200. Also since you are the original owner and it is in near mint condition with recent tune up, that adds value. (Does your amp have reverb?) Still, I would guess the resale price to be in the ~$1200 range. Even a loaded Mark IIC+ does not fetch more than $3000. And the IIB's are much less desired than the IIC+

Finally, there is a Classified section of the forum that is used to post items for sale. You will have better luck posting there.

Good luck.

Last thanksgiving I saw a boogie '79. No reserve that didn't get one bid. Could have had it for a buck!! Had the hell beat out of it cosmeticly. Serviced sounded superb, supposedly. I refrained from bidding because of the 100 shipping fee! The ying & yang of mesa..

I'm new to this stuff. 58 yrs old. Please forgive for any /all mis info.
Want to delete all posts but can't find out how....so please ignore all or webmaster please remove all.
All amp info is 100% true, worth is questionable. Sorry.
Dennis

Actually, the value is what the market will bear.
My boogie was my first serious amp. It's more like an old friend. My back won't forgive if I lift it. Why I acquired a TA30.
Do hope your situation improves to the point where you may keep it, and play it...

It's worth what the market will bear but an original amp isn't worth the same as an original from an original owner that was gone through--at some expense--by mesa folks themselves. Value ought to be worth more, IMO. It's vintage but better than new, as mesa folks clean up some known issues on most all work coming in, as I understand it.

I'd like to think $1,000+ minimum and seems to me I've seen some go for more than that, as described without a fancy wood cab.

I think reality is that your market shrinks the higher you go in price though. People who know these amps will appreciate them--the problem is there are real options out there in the "boutique" amp world these days you have to compete with.

Dennis,
The price increases due to rarity or papers of province.
I worked at a vintage guitar/amp store in the 80's.
Unfortunately, Keith Richards can get 5k for a plain Jane mk2 b. not you!
In 1985 I purchased an all original brown 1962 fender deluxe for 175 bucks. My 1982mk2 was just under a grand. Simal-class & wicker. Which do you think is worth more?
Wish I had seen which way the wind would have blown..

Back