$1000 Budget

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
If you had $1000 to spend on a guitar new or used, what would you get and why?

used ESP custom shop kh2

I would buy it b/c I have had 2 in the past and had to sell them to pay for school

I already have one lol.

Ok let me say what I have already to eliminate those!

ESP KH-2
ESP LTD EC-2005
Jackson DK2 (for sale btw)

I think it depends on the music you like to play. I went through only a couple of guitars to find the one I love. I got the Fender USA Deluxe Hss Strat in white with RW board. I love playing blues and classic rock sounds and of course Eric Johnson style stuff......

I paid $1000 for it new and it came with the usual goodies, Case, strap, strap locks etc.............Stays in tune pretty well, the schallers make it easy to change strings and the roller nut is pretty nice too. I might and this is a fat chance change out the humbucker to something else a little hotter later on......... for now it's my perfect baby to play..........

That's my 2 schillings worth, good luck in your search..........

I agree with Shnapper. If one grand is the ceiling of your budget a strat would be the way to go. IMO. Versatility, weight, balance, decent sound.... Spend more than a grand and you can get anything you can dream of. I'd say if you spend more than $2000-$2500 on an axe, your spendin because you want more of something, not necessarily it can do something better. This is a general observation not a rule.. obviously. I mean I didn't have to get the artist upgrade, but I hadn't bought a new guitar in 8 years, and wanted to get my dream guitar, so I did. No regrets.. If I new how to post a pic I would.

Well I just did that, well kinda, I bought a Jackson SLSMG with emg's. I use that one for drop C tuning in flames, shadows fall stuff. Just before that I bought a Les Paul Gibson gothic studio with emg's. That one was 1400, a little more expensive, but well worth it. I use that one for standard tuning.

I would go with the older and some current USA made PV stuff. Most people haven't heard of or played their older high end stuff. If you do a search for the Odyssey(neck through), Destiny(custom is neck through), Vandenberg(custom is neck through), Falcon(Active and custom only not the early 80's stuff), Generation, Impact (milano and torino neckthrough), Wolfgang, HP Special, and HP(set neck) you can find a lot of untapped resources of great gear at reasonable prices.

The out of productino items (everything except the HP and HP special guitar are out of production) are often on ebay and usually are in the sub $500 arena. The top guitars are the Odyssey, Destiny Custom, Vandenberg custom, and the new HP guitars.

I suggest reading some reviews and checking out the pictures as some are really magnificant looking as well as playing/sounding.

Personally, I own 2 Ody's, 1 Falcon active, 1 Impact milano, and 1 Wolfgang Special but since I calming down on my collection I won't be buying too many more guitars unless it is out of necessity. Of course I own other guitars but I figured you would only want to hear about the ones that are the best.

I would get a Faded LP or er whatever the cheapest Gibson LP with humbuckers.

Why-

I have the faded SG, even though i did end up upgrading the pickups with different gibson ones it looks and sounds great. BUT i want a LP when i get some extra cash, which will probably be about 2 years :cry: .

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9307

Get a Gibson copy

(unless your like me and never owned a Gibson and its important that it says Gibson on it)

David.W said:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9307

Get a Gibson copy

(unless your like me and never owned a Gibson and its important that it says Gibson on it)

Its not that at all, first off i like Gibson pickups and even though it doesnt have nice paint like the SG Supreme you cant tell from hearing it.

I really find no reason to buy a "copy" but wouldnt throw away an Epi LP copy either, but yes would much rather it said Gibson on it.

Comparing 2 guitars one American Strat and an Ibanez (both around $1,500) well the Strat smoke the Ibanez including build quality and for that matter so does the American made cheapy SG. They also sound better.

The Ibanez has cheaper electronics and the paint around the neck pocket has a crack that appeared shortly after i got it. Also the DiMarzio pickups are ok but again the 57's on the Gibson are much better - my opinion.

Well let me start off by saying I have owned a Les Paul Standard and I have owned a USA Fender Strat. I will never own either of them again for various reasons.

First off Gibson's quality control has gone to hell over the past few years. Last week I looked at a few of them and I found something severely flawed on each one I looked at. I saw where they painted part of the fretboard when painting a neck. Glue smeared out from under the fretboard and not cleaned properly. Crooked necks, faulty wiring, bad pots, finish flaws, I mean you name it and you can find it on a Gibson. Now don't get me wrong if you buy an older (90's or earlier) you can get a fine piece of art. But if you want a new one, then have fun throwing your money away.

Fender is a well made instrument with pride and it shows. But Fender has a sound all to it's own and I hate that sound. I really don't like the looks of them either as they look vintage where as I look something a little more eye catching. (NO NOT BC RICH CRAP). I also am not a fan of the necks on Fender guitars. They feel too fat for my playing style.

So Fender just doesn't suit me very well, and Gibson is crap anymore. Paul Reed Smith makes a great guitar but overpriced for what you get. I don't like Ibanez and I will NEVER own another Jackson as long as I live so help me God. You can hand me a new Custom one and I will burn it to the ground. But just so you know I never did find another guitar just yet and I continued to save and I have made my choice....

A Custom ESP (if the 2007 models fall short) I have played every guitar that I could get my hands on and I have owned dozens of different guitars over the years and I am one picky SOB when it comes to what I like. But I have never found a company that takes so much care into the creation of their product like ESP. Every guitar I have ever played by them has been absolutely flawless (it goes through two Quailty Controls) and they have sounded absolutely awesome. Also the necks are just the right thickness for me. If you haven't ever played an ESP, a real one not the LTD (although the higher end LTD's are extremely nice for the $$$) then go try one and you will see the difference.

ESP>ALL :twisted:

Wel i dont know what to tell you, i bought a faded sg for less then even the way low price they are now and i have to say it is fine. Changed the string a few times and never needed to have it set-up. Obviously money was an issue but thats the whole point of this thread. **** for once i got lucky .

I would be willing to shell out serious cash for a Gibson LP, played 'em a few times and the tone is amazing.

As far as Strats, see Richie Blackmore on the '72 Cali Jam or Joe Walsh on the Eagles DVD, SRV etc.

ESP's are fine too, but read some reviews on the Faded SG and compare it to the cheap Korean ESP's.

If you guys get a chance, take a look at the Reverends. They are now building an LP, SG, and Flying V style guitar among a number of other new models. They make both bolt on necks and set necks now. If you've never played them, the necks are outstanding, along with the factory setups. They are very well made and offer one of the best bangs for the bucks out there. I own two of them and like both of them. They're well under a thousand bucks with some really great features.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/index.html
[/url]

I know what you mean with Gibson. I don't know if it's because GC lets anybody pick-up and play, or something but every LP I picked-up had a F'ed up neck. Chips, dents, cracked laquer, crappy action you name it. On the other hand I went to place in town that only sold Custom shop Gibson, and 57 goldie was beautiful through and through.

Latest posts

Back