-10 +4 = x

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spherion

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to the board for the amount of feedback and help I've been getting on here since I've become a TR owner.

Yet a few more questions...

1. What output level is the TR FX loop set to? -10db or +4db?

2. For those of you using high end multifx processors with your TR's, A) are you operating at +4db and B) if so, what is your nominal level? The reason I ask is that I've heard that when matching analog equipment with digital equipment, a nominal level on digital equipment is different where -12db to -18db is considered a good level to allow headroom as to clipping at 0 for analog equipment. I'm wondering if this rings true with guitar amps and digital FX processors as well. I come from the camp that you just play your strongest peaks and nudge the level down so you're in the red only on occasion with no clipping.

I THINK it's +4 but not entirely sure. It is pretty **** hot and of that I am certain. Check your V4 preamp tube (see your other thread)...if it's weak that could be part of the problem getting a hot enough send to your FX, and also contribute to the hum problem.

There are so many level adjustments (Channel Masters, Loop Send, the Input and Output levels on your various FX devices), I cant see why you're not getting a good signal level all the way thru the chain unless V4 is bad or the problem lies in one of the FX devices.

FWIW I run Boss stompbox delay and reverb (both digital by the way) in my TR loop with no problems/noise/phase issues. FX Send at unity (~1:30), pedals 100% wet, FX Mix on the amp ~30%. Setting the Channel Masters too high can overload the pedals, but even with the clean channel around 11:00 and the others set to a relative balance, the amp is punishingly loud so it's not a problem.

With any rack type processor I've ever used, setting it's input about halfway up and output a little more than half usually gives good results, making fine adjustments from there.

IMO you have too much stuff hooked up to find a baseline. Try one FX processor at a time, settings as above, and switch it back and forth from -10 to +4 and see what happens before connecting the next device. Repeat as nessessary. Be patient. Have a beer. Swap out the V4 tube. Have another beer. Abandon the FX loop and go wet/dry/wet (see the EQ thread) Continue being patient...what you're looking for is in there somewhere its just a matter of finding it.

Yeah, I'm really starting to think you're right. I came to the same conclusion tonight that it might be a tube because the other guitar player happened to have bought a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (without my knowing we both went out and bought 'em at the same time) and all that comes out of his is hiss which could easily be rectified (pardon the pun) by a noise gate. My noise gate does nothing to eliminate the hum and we practiced tonight totally dry with nothing hooked up and it had nothing but problems--hum, feedback, and he was using the same wall outlets that I've been using.

If tubes have something to do with the amount of signal going to the effects then that would definitely point in the same direction. My input is ANYTHING but hot going to the processors. If everything's at 12 o'clock--send, master--I'm lucky to hit -12db on the LED's. Now going in at -10db (after setting the inputs on them to accept -10db) it's a little better.

I think I'm going to give Mesa Boogie a call before I go do something rash and see if they can replace out the tubes since they're under warrantee.

Slightly off topic, but if you cant resolve the loop issue, or decide to go wet/dry/wet using the Slave Out to feed your rack, I had an idea how you could do it with only the one cab. Might cost you a little $ but way less than a second cab.........

Reload the cab with some clean high wattage speakers like EV's (used) or DeltaPro 12A's (you could use the stock spk's for a while but if you crank it up you're gonna toast them). Remove the jack plate on the cab and make a new one with 4 jacks, one to each speaker individually. TR 4-ohm outs to the bottom 2 speakers, and FX left/right from your rack/power amp to each of the top 2 speakers.

FXL FXR
Dry Dry

Latest posts

Back