1/2 power confusion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyfancy

Reaction score
hi all, first time, long time. i've got a question about the 1/2 power switch on my markIII. it's a black dot fully loaded colliseum. it's not marked anywhere simuclass, but came with 6l6s and el34s. this may be a dumb question, but is the 1/2 power switch actually half power or does it drop it down to simulclass 15 watt or so? any response would be great.curiosity is killing me

If it came with EL34s and 6L6s then it's probably simul equipped. To make sure, peek underneath and check whether the output transformer has a "562003" inscription on it.

If it's indeed a simul, then the switch is actually a "simul/class a" switch ie. when you select 1/2 power, it's actually class a, regardless what the face plate reads. And yeah, it should be 15 watts in that setting.

~trem

If you have both 6L6s and EL-34s, it's probably Simul-Class. Mesa was notorious for switches labeled "Half/Full Power" when they meant Simul-Class, 'specially on heads. Very common. Some will say the real way to tell is by checking the OT.
According to my 1984 catalog, the Simul-Class Coliseum has four 6L6s and two EL-34s for 150 watts. The non-Simul-Class is 200 watts with all 6L6s. Curiously, it doesn't say how much power is available in the "Half Power" position.
And yes, the photo shows the "Full Power"/ "Half Power" switch.

thanks for the replies. one tranny is labeled SD 19055
E1A606-401
the other is 0180322
E1A606-xxx344

Latest posts

Back