ZOOM G1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maury

Reaction score
Anyone try this little guy out yet? I wanted to get something small for the few times where I need delay, tremelo or slap-back echo. I ordered one today and I hope to give it a demo this weekend in my LSC's loop.

Anyone else using one?

Maury

For studing and composing I use a zoom G2 wich is a real crap.Sounds have nothing to do with real amps.A real real crap but is cool for what Im using :wink:

Is Zoom stuff any good nowadays? I remember checking one of their little units out back in the early 90's and was nowhere near impressed.

If you use them for studing and practicing they are just good.
For rehearsalls or reconding they are the worst guitar equipment in the world.
Nothing sound even closer to a tube amp,nothing.
The worst tube amp is better than any digital stuff.
Expecially for distortions :wink:

well, I tried it out and I really like this unit for the vibrato, delay and tremelo ... into the clean channel. Into channel 2 with distortion (on the amp) the delay has a nasty digital distortion - no matter if I run the Zoom in front of the amp or in the loop. I can't use the Zoom delay with any dirt. Does that make any sense?

Maury

I just don't understand why it only sounds like crap to me on the distortion channel. I guess it doesn't matter why - if its sounds bad it just is.

I've never liked anything ZOOM has put out, EVER. I've tested them out on occasion through the years (benefit of the doubt) and they are still crap. I don't know how they stay in biz, honestly.

TOTAL CRAP ! Boooooooooo !

Fair enough ... and by rights, I didn't expect Mesa quality for $60. So what brand does make a quality pedal like this (small enough to sit on top of the amp - not a rackmount), where I can preset different patches with tremelo/delay/vibrato? I'll assume the Digitechs & Boss stuff is just as cheesy?

ThunderMonkey said:
I've never liked anything ZOOM has put out, EVER. I've tested them out on occasion through the years (benefit of the doubt) and they are still crap. I don't know how they stay in biz, honestly.

TOTAL CRAP ! Boooooooooo !

Because they're made to study,to practicing ,for people wich isn't have money enough to buy a mesa boogie (I guess these people are the bigger part of the worl,right ?) BUT people do insist in recording stuff with zoom :shock:

Maury said:
well, I tried it out and I really like this unit for the vibrato, delay and tremelo ... into the clean channel. Into channel 2 with distortion (on the amp) the delay has a nasty digital distortion - no matter if I run the Zoom in front of the amp or in the loop. I can't use the Zoom delay with any dirt. Does that make any sense?

Maury

Yeah, that does make sense, you should get two different crappy sounds out of it. The first one will be how pretty much any delay sounds like *** if it's before a preamp stage with a fair bit of gain, and the second one might be from the line level of the fx send being too high for the zoom. I've had this problem with several 90s-vintage digital multifx units.

Maury said:
Fair enough ... and by rights, I didn't expect Mesa quality for $60. So what brand does make a quality pedal like this (small enough to sit on top of the amp - not a rackmount), where I can preset different patches with tremelo/delay/vibrato? I'll assume the Digitechs & Boss stuff is just as cheesy?

pedal? I dunno. The budget Lexicon multifxs sound pretty decent, especially considering what you pay for them (the MX200 is just stupid cheap.) They are technically rackmounts, but you could probably velcro one down. I've never tried to play with one live, just screwed around with one in the store, but it seemed tough to beat for the money.

A friend of mine has the G2.1u so he borrowed it to me for a couple of hours.. I've tried it with headphones, in front of the amp and in the fx-loop. The "amp sims" are pretty bad, (prefer the V-amp2 in this department), fizzy and nonarticulate distortions, boring cleans...
But, when i used it in the loop of my Studio.22+ just for fx (all amp sims on the zoom turned off) it sounds great. Delays, reverbs, choruses, harmonizers - they all sounded very very good.
IMO

But, when i used it in the loop of my Studio.22+ just for fx (all amp sims on the zoom turned off) it sounds great. Delays, reverbs, choruses, harmonizers - they all sounded very very good.

that's what I've found too ... on my LSC clean channel only. When I use the Zoom (for delay only) on the LSC gain channel it distorts - even when its in front of the amp. wierd.

Maury said:
[
that's what I've found too ... on my LSC clean channel only. When I use the Zoom (for delay only) on the LSC gain channel it distorts - even when its in front of the amp. wierd.

delays rarely sound good before the preamp stage if there's much preamp gain happening (i.e. most Mesa amps) You're driving the delayed signal instead of delaying the driven signal, if that makes sense.

Few things sound good in the loop on my Rec Pre, and then only if I run the master pretty low. I run basically everything after the Rec Pre and before the 20/20. I think some Mesa fx loops have really high line levels. I'm totally speculating (talking out of my a** and someone who knows more is welcome to school me on it :lol:,) but that's what it sounds like to me.

Back