Zakk Wylde Crybaby

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoskineN

Reaction score
Hi! I have a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby and it really distort in the toe position on the clean channel of my Roadster. Is it because the ZW is a piece of crap? Is there a mod I can do on it to make it cleaner? Or should I throw it away and buy a better one? :shock:

it could be related to what pickups you're using.. i ditched the wylde after a few months for a morley bad horsie ii and haven't looked back yet. i like being able to dial in the level right on the pedal..

A wah pedal, is simaliar to a tone knob, however it has a much wider sweep. When you put it all the way up, it boosts the treble. The fact that it is distorting, is not good, I don't think wahs are supposed to do that. I suggest looking into a Vox wah, they sound X1000s of times better than the crybabies, especially the Zakk one!

hey man i have the wylde wah and i use it with my roadkingII, on my clean it does distort my clean if i want it to, it does add some gain when the toe is down,i love mine, but everyones ears are different.

I have read Zakk interview on Japanese guitar magazine and he said his wah setting is little bit mute position. Like wah stops right before the end position. You can open the back panel of wah and you can adjust the knob
teeth. It is not hard to do. It will cut all the treble sound out and it makes little more warm sound.

Hi KoskineN. I just want to let you know that when you adjust the teeth,
Make sure remember the original starting point!!!! Start with one or two teeth at a time. I remember I only move 2~3 teeth and it did change sound.
I hope you will find the sweet tone spot!

Haha I bought this pedal a few weeks ago and I had the same problem but then I used the wrench to adjust it and it became much cleaner, I don't know how I did but it's clean now.

KoskineN said:
??? Isn't the wrench just to ajust the tension on the movin part of the wah? I don't get it...

I don't know the manual didn't say anything to me.

Hi KoskineN. I am not sure if you already figure out or not. But this modification is very simple trick. All you need is open the back wah plate and loose the tension of teeth rod stick ( kinda long square rod with teeth
from top pedal) then you move the pod side of teeth. Again, Do not move
pod side of teeth too much. Just move it one teeth at time. Just make sure you remember the starting point for both pod teeth & Rod teeth. It is not super difficult but it require little time to find your sweet spot sound. Good luck!

Thanks again for the tip! I haven't got the time yet to do it bit I planned to do this this weekend. I'm also planning to do some mods on it, like true bypass(to get rid on the big "click" sound when engage), and the midrange boost for a better transition from bass to treble.

I want to modify my original cry baby to be exactly like the zakk wylde wah. I know the ZW wah has the red fasel in. But there may be some resistor and capacitor values to change too. Does anyone know the difference between the two.

Do more research on "True Bypass". It ADDS the "click-and-pop" when engaging, doesn't get rid of it.

I didn't add the true bypass yet, I only did the midrange mod, which make it sounds way better IMO. Yeah I've read about the true bypass...but now I'm confused cause some says that it get rid oof the "pop" and some don't! :shock: Anyway I'm thinking about switching to a Fulltone Clyde wah...

Latest posts

Back