Your thoughts on the Stiletto Duece II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ko112 said:
I can pick up a stiletto deuce stage 1 for dirt cheap - Is it worth it if I have a mark 4? I need something that covers more ground - like classic rock/modern stuff like foo fighters etc...
i have the Stage I and it does deliver for all that sound. all you need with this head is a good overdrive pedal and you can get just about any sound that you are looking for.

Went from a DR to a trident and couldn't be happier. Love the sound and it goes easily into brutal territory with a front end boost. One shredalicious and sweet sweet machine

Geiri said:
Went from a DR to a trident and couldn't be happier. Love the sound and it goes easily into brutal territory with a front end boost. One shredalicious and sweet sweet machine

Went to you Myspace site. Cool playing! Do you have any clips of you playing through the Stiletto?

A couple of questions...
Does the loop run at +4dB or -10dB?
Do I need to have the amp in Standby mod before switching the 50/100 watt toggle switch?
Anyone try their Stiletto with a greenback loaded cab?

Nope, you can switch 'em back forth at will. No need to be on standby, wouldn't hurt anything if you did it that way though.

So what is the difference between a Stiletto Deuce stage 1 and stage 2???

There are about a dozen threads on the diffs b/w the Stiletto I and II.

Search it and you will find all the info you could possibly need.

Stiletto's are rad, they have their limitations but what amps doesnt?

i dont hear the lack of bottom end in them, i seem to be able to get enough out of mine and i use single coils. they are a fidgety amp and you need to **** around with them to get the sound your after.

mine is a stage I but i personally didnt think the II's were any better. i didnt like either of the channels i use (crunch on the first, tite on the second). but i dont use massive amounts of gain, i prefer a lower gain but loud sound.

I was playing live last night and during the 2nd set I had to turn down the bass on the second channel... it was up around 2 o'clock and was too boomy! I'm a slow learner... After putting my guitar away from the late 80's until a few years ago.... I missed the 90's rectifier crazy and it took me two years to realize that the sound the rectifiers had taken metal to, moved the guitar into the bass guitars frequency range in sound. That to me is why the Stiletto was created... to get Mesa back into the guitars traditional frequency range where Marshall and Fender have controlled for years. I never wanted to be a Bass player and I don't want to be occupying that frequency range. In fact I play with a bass player who always dream't of playing guitar and needs a slap now an then when he starts trying to solo on his bass's higher register. Makes my low E string off grounds for me if I don't want me and him mudding each other out. The Stiletto has ton's of bottom end for everything other than freight train video game soundtrack music.

I somewhat agree, it all depends how your bass player EQ's, honestly I tend to find mesa bass amps a little lower in the frequency range then most bass heads, so they kind fit just right with a recetifier, of course like any amp line it depends on the bass head you get.

You can also dial out the bottem end of the rect and get the mid's up and you are fine, however for pure cut the stiletto beats it hands down.

srf399 said:
I was playing live last night and during the 2nd set I had to turn down the bass on the second channel... it was up around 2 o'clock and was too boomy! I'm a slow learner... After putting my guitar away from the late 80's until a few years ago.... I missed the 90's rectifier crazy and it took me two years to realize that the sound the rectifiers had taken metal to, moved the guitar into the bass guitars frequency range in sound. That to me is why the Stiletto was created... to get Mesa back into the guitars traditional frequency range where Marshall and Fender have controlled for years. I never wanted to be a Bass player and I don't want to be occupying that frequency range. In fact I play with a bass player who always dream't of playing guitar and needs a slap now an then when he starts trying to solo on his bass's higher register. Makes my low E string off grounds for me if I don't want me and him mudding each other out. The Stiletto has ton's of bottom end for everything other than freight train video game soundtrack music.

srf399 said:

Rectos turn a guitar into a bass? Interesting. That is some very powerful sound processing technology they have there.
Just because the amp doesn't have a ton of mids doesn't mean there is no mids at all. It just has less than the Stiletto. The Stiletto isn't an attempt to move "back into the guitars traditional frequency range." It's Mesa's take on really mid-heavy EL34 amps (ie. Marshalls) mixed with the Recto's modern saturation and response. They ended up with a fantastic amp as a result.
And you slap your bassist when he wants to solo? I hope you are joking, or he quit. Bass solos are the ****. And your low E muds out? That's terrible, how do I get by tuned to low G then?

edit: And then the bottom end thing other people are commenting on. Either of these things will happen:
a) You are recording and the guitar will be high pass filtered at 100hz, and notched twice between 100 and 300hz killing all bass anyway
b) You are playing live and the low end will get lost in the bass drum and bass sound
On its own the amp may sound less impressive, but it will always sit in the mix fine (if not better), especially if you have a bassist who can double up your guitar parts.

Went to you Myspace site. Cool playing! Do you have any clips of you playing through the Stiletto?[/quote]

Thank you for the comment. At the moment I have no recordings of the stiletto. But that is all in the pipes now and maybe I´ll put together a little vid of the stiletto and show what it is I like about it.

The trouble is I've been rather lazy lately recording wise but I intend to get my lazy a$$ up from the couch one of these days and do some recordings.

Thats the problem with the digital stuff, it makes you lazy because it's all been done for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did not say "rectos turn a guitar into a bass" LMAo I said "moved the guitar into the bass guitars frequency range in sound. There is a difference. When you get two instruments in the same frequency range you end up with a lot of clutter... the "less is more" concept in playing. That's what I was referring to.

Geiri said:
Thank you for the comment. At the moment I have no recordings of the stiletto. But that is all in the pipes now and maybe I´ll put together a little vid of the stiletto and show what it is I like about it.

Can't wait to hear it

Latest posts

Back