Your Favorite Guitar With the Lone Star Special?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
Not for playability, but for the tone you get with the Lone Star Special.

Right now it's a toss up between the Baja Tele and American Deluxe Strat. I'd say the Baja has a very slight edge, but not much. I love single coil guitars with this amp.

What's your favorite and why?

Res 8)

I have two Suhrs, a PRS Cu 24, a LP Std and a CS Strat.

The LSS and my Fender Eric Johnson strat were absolutley made for each other.

Light, wispy cleans when I wanna be and Buddy Whittington on steroids when cranked. Great dirty position 2 and 4 tones, too.

Only downside is that the middle pup on the EJ is almost unuseable with the LSS when I have all the other tones where I want them; its just TOO bright.

BTW, while its true the amp works BEST with single coils, its pretty nice with the LP and the PRS when clean. Dirty with those guitars gets a little tough, though.

Either one of my two Strats.
50th AmSe. or my "54 ThinSkin,...both sound as if the LSS was made for them,..fantastic tone (at least to me,..even the tone controls on the guitars seem more responsive with the LSS)

I like the EJ too

or my 56 Relic with Suhr V60LPs

Strat with vintage pups

Initially I thought my Am Deluxe Strat was the best sounding. I certain still feel that way over the Clapton Lace model I have too. However, last weekend I spent quite a bit of time Sunday experimenting a bit with my Am Tele (stock) and was pleasantly surprised to find it was the best I ever thought that guitar sounded.

Then I watched Brad Paisley the other night with his "Z" amp wall and his Crook Tele and really thought how much the LSS might sound with that guitar. It looks terrific just sitting there.

I imagine single coil anything would sound best just going with what the target seems to be. I have a LP Custom that I have yet to try, but I'm not counting on it being the best ever.

I imagine single coil anything would sound best just going with what the target seems to be. I have a LP Custom that I have yet to try said:
I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Vintage Worn Cherry today. This guitar has the Burstbucker, Humbucker PU's. It took a little time, but I'm getting great tone out of the LSS with this guitar. I'm using less treble and midrange than I thought I would. The neck pickup is especially sweet. 8)

Latest posts

Back