Your Confirmation Needed About Buying a Cab.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soheil

Reaction score
Hi again guys
i hope that it's the last time that I ask such a silly question :D I kinda think that It's ok and safe but want to confirm it:

question is: If I buy a 1x12 roadster cab for instance, it's a 60Watts cab, and I use my Dual recto in 50w mode (I pulled two inner poweramp tubes) So it doesn't hurt my head is it? I dont need extra loud sounds! 50 watts is enough for me and I'm careless about
clean channel headroom, All i wanna know is if a 1x12 Roadster cab is going to sound DTish and it's not gonna hurt my head? I mean is it safe?

Thanks...

well yeh it should be safe by pulling 2 power amp tubes to power down the amp a bit to 50watts,the max handelling for the recto cab(1x12")is 60watts,tjhis should not harm the cab or the head,but I would watch that the head doesnt peak at 60watts in that maode(Im not an amp tech),what I would do(already do is)buy a 1x12" mesa theile poretd compact cab which has a max power handelling of 90watts and this should be very safe to run that baby into, as far as dream theater esque sounds are conserned then a 1x12" will give you a pretty convincing DT sound in a smaller venue/room the only thing about the DT sound is that JP is moving some serious air with the amount of cabs which just sounds HUGE,you know what I mean,most people on the gig only get the one speaker mic'd up anyway so a 1x12" would do perfectly,the other speakers will give more on stage sound and for the first couple of rows but the best thing is to leave it to the PA/soundguy to sit you in the mix so really yes a 1x12" would suffice but JP needs all his cabs for the size of venues he is playing

Hope this is a help

Euan

I don't think I'm gonna crank the amp, maybe Master at the Noon is the most that i will ever use, and I have a 4x12 marshall cab anyway. is it a risky move? some dudes over jp forum told me that it's ok. what do you think ?
thanks

Back