Yet another "what speakers should I get" thread...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has whitewalls! I got my 2 T-100's and they look a bit odd, but somewhat "stylish" I suppose. I definitely would have picked black if there was an option, but oh well, what can you do? Magic marker? :shock:

Just put these in last night and I'll be breaking them this afternoon...

NewSpkrs-small.jpg

I've tested:
1) handbuilt, material : mdf(cheap material), 4x12 front-loaded cab, V30 speakers, closed back
2) M/B cab,( I think it's Road Ready), built like a tank, smaller than 1st cab,
bottom: EV12L '85, top: blackshadow c90

and:
3) my friend's Marshall 1960AB with GT-75s.

1) heavy, tight bottom, little scooped mids, detailed highs, imho it sounds nice with mark IV, with Marshalls - too harsh (too much treble)
2) no bottom, no highs, just nice mids, too plain sounding, maybe these speakers are too old or something, maybe they're just different(I've heard that EV12L are very transparent etc).
3) not so much bottom like in my V30 loaded cab, but smoother highs. Sounds nice with marshall, not so good with mesa IV.

I'm going to test V30s in M/B & Marshall cab today :) I'll post results :)

I just broke in the t-100's and I must say that I'm pleased with them. Like people have said, they're pretty much like a t-75 but with a tighter bass. The highs are a little smoother too (than t-75's). I had to up the bass and lower the highs on the eq, but unlike the v30's and t-75's, they cooperated fully. Upping the bass on the v30's and t-75's would make them a little boomy (not muddy) and when rolling off the harsh high's, the v30's would just sound dull. I had neither problem w/ the t-100's. I'm pretty sure the eq'ing will relax to more of a typical setting once they're fully broken in...

They definitely blow v30's out of the water and make t-75's look like their little brother ;)

Eminence Governer (from the Eminence Red Coat series).
One of the best Vintage 30 type speakers I've heard or used.
Keeps the best of the V30 vibe and gets rid of the nasties.
No upper mid peak, no mid honks so a sort of smoothed
out and more balanced mids (but they are there! but the cool thing
is how well you can adjust the mids of this speaker with EQ'ing.
It conforms to whatever you want).
Tigher bottom end although not quite as deep as Celestion V30 but doesn't
flub out even on the heavy chug drop tune stuff.
Really nice top end, sparkle and chime but nothing harsh.
Great speaker and priced affordably. And yeah - it can take
the watts easily. Give a set a try. You'll like 'em.

Glad you like the T-100's man! I've been thinking about swapping out my EVM's in my halfback 412 for some T-100's myself. I also picked up an Orange 212 with custom Eminence speakers which sounds great as well! The EVM's are good, but lately I've realized I like a little bit of give to the speaker's tone, it helps give some mojo. 4 EVM's are just a bit overkill and a bit too sterile, though they do slay for brutal metal.

^^ yea, I'd try that. If I wasn't so concerned w/ live applications, I probably would go with a combination of the EV's (or delta pros) with the t100's. At the risk of repeating myself I'll say that the EV's rock for metal when EQ'd. The celestions just give me the extra option of using eq or not.

Latest posts

Back