Yet another "what speakers should I get" thread...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiff

Reaction score
Sorry to do this to you guys, but I have searched around here quite a bit and I'd like to get some input...

I have a MarkIV and an older MB 2x12 cab like in the pic below (not a pic of mine). I play mainly rock/metal...

I recently yanked out the EV's (Black Shadows) from it since they're a tad too midrangey for my taste. I -really- like the sound of my t-75 loaded marshall cab. With the marshall cab the EQ is optional for what I play, but it's not w/ the EV's. I would just stick w/ the marshall cab, but I have to tie down my trunk to make it fit (toyota tercel) and it's a straight cab... really need an angled cab for gigs. And hey, it's not a Boogie ;)

Figuring that going Celestion would fix me up, I put V30's (actually Hellatone 60L's) in it, but they're just too damned sharp in the high-mids and overall a little thin sounding.

After putting in the v30's (HT's) I sealed up the top section with 3/4" birch ply. It really helped fatten up the sound, but not enough. Also, it's still too bright in the upper mids. If I force it out w/ the EQ, I end up with it sounding too dull and lacking bite.

I plan to yank 2 of the t-75's out of my marshall cab to give them a shot in the MB cab, but I'd like some input first.... it's screw holes are getting very worn (actually the EV's tore out and I had to fill them), so before tearing things up I'd like some input....

I'm also thinking of trying some C90's, but I've read some posts around here saying thery're a little muddy on the low end. And of course, that means spending yet more money just to test them out...

Any and all suggestions welcome! TIA...

I really liked the C-90 with my Mark IV when I had it.

I also really liked a single EVM in a large open back cab.

Another great combo was a V30 & a Heritage 30 in series at 8 ohms.

My favorite was a Weber Thames in the Mark IV combo with the EV loaded large open back cab. Pure thunder!

If the C-90 is a bit flabby, simply turn the bass down a tad.

Have you tried your P-90 guitar with another amp to see if it is what is causing the sharpness in your tone?

Also, I have 2 cabs (1x12 3/4 back & a Thiele) with EV's in them and they do not have any type of mid-range hump to my ears. I would think that any Celestion would have a higher mid-range focus than an EV would.

Hope this helps.

Monsta-Tone said:
Have you tried your P-90 guitar with another amp to see if it is what is causing the sharpness in your tone?
Well, I don't have a P-90, but I've used my jackson (dr), ibanez, les paul and explorer... all with basically them same results...

Oh, btw... are you a certified boogie tech? None here in EP :(

Put one of the EVs back in the bottom (or a V30) and throw one of the T75s (or a C-90) in the top. I have a mix of V30s with T75s or C90s in different cabs and love both combinations. I've also heard that the C90s and T75s go very well together, though I haven't done that myself. Mix and match a little, you might find something you really like seeing as though you already have most of those speakers.

:D :D :D I am. I'm only 145 miles from you too! Tell your friends! I need the work. :lol:

I thought I saw a P-90 in the black guitar. Could be my cheap monitor though. :lol:

FWIW: I have a C-90 in my DC-5 now and it sits on top of an EV loaded 3/4 back 1/12 Mesa cab with an EV. I just don't like what this combination of speakers does for my amp. It seems to loose something on the cleans. The distortion tones sound phenomenal though! :D

Thanks guys... I'm sure using different speakers sounds great... but, since I'll be doing mainly live stuff, only one speaker will get mic'd...

Monsta-Tone said:
:D :D :D I am. I'm only 145 miles from you too! Tell your friends! I need the work. :lol:
sweet! :) There's a local guy that does good work for me, but he's not MB cert'd and he's not a guitarist, so I'll definitely hit you up for anything significant. Yea, a -little- of a journey, but sure beats Albuquerque! I'll pass the word along... ;)

Monsta-Tone said:
I thought I saw a P-90 in the black guitar. Could be my cheap monitor though. :lol:
yea, that's not mine, just a pic I found so you guys would know what kinda cab I have...

Right on Kiff,

I usually have customers ship just the chassis to me. This saves a little bit of money on shipping if you can't bring it in person.

Also, I may start picking up some Lighting Control work in El Paso, so it's possible that I might be able to pick repair or mod items up.

How do you like your cabinet? I've been wondering how these sound compared to the standard 2x12 cabs.

Monsta-Tone said:
How do you like your cabinet? I've been wondering how these sound compared to the standard 2x12 cabs.
I haven't tried a standard 2x12. Do you mean the modern vertical ones for rectos? My cab seems really good, but I still haven't quite found the sweet spot yet. Closing the back helped a lot, but I've only heard it closed w/ the v30's, not the EV's. I -really- like my marshall cab's sound w/ the t-75's. I'll probably go ahead and grab 2 out of it and see how it goes. Hopefully the t-75's won't have the harsh upper-mids like the v30's. If that doesn't work out, I'll just go back to the EV's. Those sounded great, but for me they really need the EQ.

Monsta-Tone said:
I usually have customers ship just the chassis to me. This saves a little bit of money on shipping if you can't bring it in person.

Also, I may start picking up some Lighting Control work in El Paso, so it's possible that I might be able to pick repair or mod items up.
Yea, that's not a bad idea. Either way, I'd probably drive there to pick it up. If something happens in shipping I'd rather it be in a tech's hands at that point ;) Let me know if you get the lighting gig :)

I just built myself a couple of thiele 1x12 clones and converted my MKIV combo to a head (which I also built). I'm in the process of tolexing them all now. Anyway, I have the EVM12L from my old combo cab in one of them and I picked up a 400 Watt Eminence Delta Pro 12A new for just over $100. It sounds very similar to the EV, but has a lower frequency response on both the highs and bass. The EV has a bit more cut and clarity, but the Eminence has a beefier bass and sounds a bit smoother. The combination of the two in the thiele cabs is HUGE! The lows from the Eminence will probably get a bit fatter too as the speaker breaks in more (it's brand-spanking new and tight as a drum). I was going to go with a reissue EVM12L, but $200 is a bit much compared to the $104 I paid for the Delta Pro 12A. Give the Delta Pro 12A a try. You might like their smoothness.

mr_fender said:
Give the Delta Pro 12A a try. You might like their smoothness.
good to know. I might end up trying them out. thnx!

anyone tried eminence governors? From waht I've read they're like v30's, but w/ better lows and w/o the harsh upper-mids...

just got my avatar vintage g-112.

it's got a celestion Heritage G12H.

my new favorite speaker.

I really like the G12T-100's and they sound great with my Mark III; I like them alot better than the 75's. My bandmate got a new set of 4 for a VERY good price on Ebay from Avatar Speakers; I'm talking about around $150! They have a fuller, tighter bass response but a similar overall sound. Also, the EVM's are very hi-fi and present sounding, but fairly neutral, so that's why they benefit the EQ. I think the EVM, G12T-100 combo would own

No, they sound a bit smoother in the upper mids and are slightly scooped sounding like the G12T-75's, but with bigger bass and better clarity.

I bought the G12T-100s from Dave at Avatar, too. Sounds great in my Mark III, alone and teamed with an EVM 12L Thiele.
Mucho bottom end for a Celestion, 2" inch voice coil, 100 watts, and a mere 7.1 lbs.
The Boogie C-90 sounds "dull" in comparison. Recommended!

Thanks guys, been a big help.... it looks like it's a toss up between the Delta Pro 12A and the Celestion T-100's...

Yesterday I yanked 2 of the t-75's from my marshall cab and they definitely sound better than the v30's. Way better low end, they're a bit high-endish but not nearly as piercing and brittle as the v30's. They'll get me by for our gig next week, but I'll definitely need to make a decision soon...

There's a guy on craigslist here that's selling a Fender MetalHead cab (for $300) that has 4 "100w Celestions". Anyone know if those are T-100's???
I can't seem to find anything more specific...
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=2282800000

Click on the "Specs" button under "Related links".
Those are 4-12" Celestion® GK12-100, 16 ohm Speakers, p/n 0064813000.
I haven't tried these, all I know is they are heavier because of a larger magnet.

MrMarkIII said:
Click on the "Specs" button under "Related links".
Those are 4-12" Celestion® GK12-100, 16 ohm Speakers, p/n 0064813000.
I haven't tried these, all I know is they are heavier because of a larger magnet.
can't believe I missed that after all of the looking around I did... thnx :) I'll prob pass on it then...
Monsta-Tone said:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=28694

This guy has some 75's for sale.
yea I saw that, thnx tho... I would get them to restock my marshall, but I'll end up getting either the delta pros or the t-100's and put the 75's back into my marshall.

something I've been wondering about my boogie cab. since it doesn't have a cloth type grill, it's probably letting more high frequencies through and might have more bite than usual for any given speaker. anyone tested or know about this?

Latest posts

Back