Yaaaay! Blown fuse, tube problems? Warranty work!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howitzer

Reaction score
Im super stoked everyone! I have had my amp for 2 weeks now, and last night in the studio the fuse popped while I was playing. I just got off the phone with Mesa, and it looks like a power tube had a problem, and now i have to take it in to get warranty work done on it. As you can guess, im kinda pissed off about the whole ordeal, but the amp sounds amazing....

Do you guys think it could be anything else?

Cheers
Matt

Welcome to our world. Try owning 8 tube amps and talk about tubes.
34 Power and 37 Pre. In all of my years, I have never blown a power tube.
I use certain venders like Doug's Tubes, Ruby, NOS Phillips and Triode Electronics.

Keep a spare quad and fuses on hand and you will never be down.

Sorry to hear about it, but I hope it keeps performing well for you.

Well, he said that it was possible that with a blown power tube, the power transformer could have been damaged, hence my need for warranty work. Whats the chance that it actually got damaged?

It worries me for this reason, if im on the road, and a tube pops, do i have to worry about the transformer everytime, or can I (with some confidence) just assume that replacing the fuse and the tube will do it?

Thanks a ton boogie!

Dude, I bet anything that you can just pop in some fresh tubes and a fuse and be good to go.

When my DC10 bit it in Gaeta, It, I couldn't understand what happened...the timing was horrible. Butr when I dragged it over to Mesa Hollywood, the tech that received it immediately saw that something was funky inside of the very tube that had blown- I didn't even point it out to him...To me, it looked fine!

Well, yeah, I know what a fuse is, but why would Kris Dilbeck (head of customer service, and the guy that tests out all the amps) tell me to go have it checked out then? To get a new fuse and tube under warranty, and just so make sure nothing screwy happened? I guess that would make sense if they are trying to keep the reputation of reliabilty (which they have earned).

Both my Mark IV's and my 50/50 came from Boogie with bad power tubes. In fact the 50/50 went through seven power tubes under warranty until I finally decided 'screw the warranty' and switched to JJ power tubes. I haven't had a problem since. I really like my Boogie amps but IMO Boogie power tubes are junk. The authorized Mesa repair shop where I took it for warranty service (several times) told me his return rate on Boogie power tubes was more then 50%.

They probably just want to make sure that nothing else is wrong with the amp. If you just swap the tube and fuse, it will most likely take care of the problem, but if it self-destructs (very un-likely), then Mesa is liable for a new amp. They don't want that. Reliabillity, cover their asses, same thing.

If you order the JJ's through Eurotubes, Bob tests each one. I order them in bulk and there are a few that I have to throw away, but mostly 12AX7's.

It's frowned upon by Mesa, but I used JJ's in my Rectoverb & Mark IV and saved the Mesa tubes just incase I needed any warranty work. Much better tone can be found with other brands of tubes.

Many amps seem to be shipped from their respective factories with the tubes installed. This is one of the the reasons that there are so many new tube failures.

The other is simply Murphy's Law. I have delivered almost 15 of my amplifiers to extremely happy customers in the last 3 years. Of those 15 amps, 6 of them had premature Power Tube failure (several different brands). Most faulty Power Tubes will fail within a 2 month period after you start using them. If they don't suffer from Infant Mortality, they will last quite a while, depending on how they are used.

The other guys are right, you should always have spare tubes and fuses with you when gigging. I have a DC-2 & DC-3 that I can use as backups. They are tiny and look cool on stage. "Plan B" is the only way to fly when playing out.

Latest posts

Back