xotic bb preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it with my Lonestar Classic and I think it's on the short list of the best mid-gain overdrives out there. I've been through lots of pedals and the BB and Barber LTD have stood the test of time for me. Both have been on my board for over a year now. That's an eternity for me :p . It is a great pedal, doesn't color your tone and does what an overdrive is supposed to do: push your amp without any loss of your original tone.

MJ Slaughter said:
Any of you BB owners try the BB Plus?
I had the BB+ and have the BB. The BB+, in my opinion, doesn't really sound like the BB. It has a decent overdrive on the B side that may have some similarities but the A side was a bit of a let down for me. Didn't have the type of gain I was hoping for and it was noisy when using both drives together. I bought the BB after selling the BB+ and am very happy with both decisions.

I drove 100 miles to Humbucker Music in north Georgia just to test out a half dozen high end pedals (they have lots). The Xotic RC = really clean boost, AC = Almost Clean, BB no cute name, boost were all there. The RC kept all the way out of the tone but did boost and drive the preamp. The AC has a little color, a gain knob that does something, bass and treble to give a little cut to the boosted signal. The BB has more color and is a straight up distortion box. The + adds two bands of compression. I was also there to test out Diamond/Keeley 4 knob/Barber Tone press compressors. Ended up getting the Barber Tone Press - it has a sustain feature, and also brought home the AC boost. The AC has very effective bass/treble controls. The gain with minimal coloring of the Boogie tone is already well documented. I run a MKV and Rectifer in stereo with the Xotic AC running in front of the MKV.

To the guy that wanted sustain with not tone alteration, the Tone Press is one possible pedal that will help with that.

Heritage Softail said:
To the guy that wanted sustain with not tone alteration, the Tone Press is one possible pedal that will help with that.

The Tone Press will definitely be good for that. It does that really well, better than the others as far as I know. The only thing I think is missing from the Tone Press is an attack control, but most uses you won't need it. The Blend knob makes up for it nicely. And it's the one Barber pedal I've had that really does not change the tone of the guitar.

Latest posts

Back