Xotic BB Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it! I use it with my MKIV. I use it to give me a bluesy tone in the clean channel with just a hint of break-up or in Ryhtm 2 channel for a nice gainy single coil solo sound or a thumpy rythm sound. Don't need it for the lead chanell.

BTW, I've cleaned up my board, I'm using George L's and it is clean and quiet now, also I got a strobo-stomp tuner which I love 8)

DSCN1214.jpg

i think Andy Timmons uses one of them and his tone is amongst the best. I saw a video of him demoing it. I cant remember where but its probably on youtube by now

shredtheater said:
i think Andy Timmons uses one of them and his tone is amongst the best. I saw a video of him demoing it. I cant remember where but its probably on youtube by now

it's right here

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/andy_timmons/index.html

click on where it says "introduction and BB preamp

wow...that is really smooth sounding. Thanks for the link. Now if I could only get that type delay setting! I have a g-major and just cant seem to get it right, I am about ready to go back to just a pedal in the loop.

just picked up one today. only heard it at practice volumes through my LSC, but so far so good. using it with not much gain on both chanels to fatten it up when necessary.

If it's not too much trouble, could one of you take some detailed pics of the internals...if you happen to have one that's not dunked in epoxy 8)

I'm trying to figure out what op amp they use in that pedal so I can hopefully build a tube screamer closer to their specs.

thanks.

twostring said:
If it's not too much trouble, could one of you take some detailed pics of the internals...if you happen to have one that's not dunked in epoxy 8)

I'm trying to figure out what op amp they use in that pedal so I can hopefully build a tube screamer closer to their specs.

thanks.

Mine should be here Friday. PM me your email address and I will take a pic this weekend and send it to you :D

im thinking of getting one,i need something to boost my triple rec.on the xotic site they have a bb plus coming out in august or sooner ,,anyone know if it will be killer for metal?

ursinus said:
I love it! I use it with my MKIV. I use it to give me a bluesy tone in the clean channel with just a hint of break-up or in Ryhtm 2 channel for a nice gainy single coil solo sound or a thumpy rythm sound. Don't need it for the lead chanell.

DSCN1115.jpg

BTW, I've cleaned up my board, I'm using George L's and it is clean and quiet now, also I got a strobo-stomp tuner which I love 8)

what kind of patch cables are they connected to the bb,those look great

is that a suhr I see as well???

and some old theile's

Ive had one now for about 4 months or so and tonight I just opened it up and mine has that black epoxy covering the entire circuit board.
I have been using it all along like an overdrive on top of my high gain channel 2 settings,,,works great this way,,adds more sustain,,harmonix, and boost. Make sure you keep the gain very low though,,,8 or 9 oclock otherwise it gets very sloppy. Its also killer all alone on channel 1 clean.
I also own a MI audio blues pro and it is very,very similar to the BB.
I kept it on my board because I found it to be even quieter than the BB when used on top of high gain and it also seems to have a more compressed sound to it,,,,it seems to make my amp sound a bit tighter to me than the BB. I decided to keep both because they are both great.

mesanomad100 said:
ursinus said:

DSCN1115.jpg

what kind of patch cables are they connected to the bb,those look great

is that a suhr I see as well???

and some old theile's

The patch cables are just generic Q-Audio cables, but are not very flexible and a bit noisy. The new George-L's are clean and quiet. Yes that is a Suhr Standard in a Light Swamp ash body with a trans blonde finish. The Thiele's are a mixture of old and new. One is a 2007, the other a late 1990's as far as I can tell, and yes, i love the way they sound..... 8)

I bought my BB in January. I own a boatload of OD's and the BB rocks them all. I sometimes us the BB in front of a DOD JYM308 overdrive pedal ( analogman modified) and I can take my Dual Rectifier to shred city with that combination.

I have the Zakk Wylde OD, Maxon Ts-9 ( analogman), Boss Ds-1 Keeley Seeing eye mod, Boss SD-1( analogman) and the DOD JYM308( analogman). The BB has more drive and and does not color the tone. I will be dumping all my OD pedals soon as I have not used any of them but the DOD since I got the BB.

P.s all BB pedals have the epoxy so that they cannot be copied. You won't find one that does not have that.

I saw the Andy Timmons video of him playing the BB and I was shocked. The pedal sounded clear, and did not mush the tone at all. I bought one and used it as a boost for my leads, and on the 2 clean chan on my RK1 with a little delay. The pedal is amazing. The EQ is very sensitive like a boogie, even a slight turn can make a difference. SOOOOOOOOOOO I went out and bought the AC booster. The pedal is amazing, it blows the doors off the TS9 or Maxon, it is not harsh or brittle. I truly recommend the AC and the BB, they are a great tool to add to your tone.

-Metal

Metalmike117, what made you decide to get the AC booster over the RC booster?? Im probably going to get the BB regardless but i was originally looking at the RC booster to use in place of my Keeley TS-9. The reason im looking at the RC one is because it is apparently the most transparent. Any reason why you choose the AC??

I just got the BB and it seems very transparent. Almost too much. Seems like a great pedal but I haven't played with it too much yet.

Has anyone hear tried the Maxon TS-9 ? I have mine on my board with my Xotic BB and and I am using the Maxon more than the BB much to my suprise. I have had other Tubescreamers but the Maxon Ts-9 seems much more punchy and fluid than other ones I have owned.

Back