• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB : SHURE SM57 + USB MIC PREAMP / INTERFACE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hey, im looking for this mic to do some guitar tracks, also a mic preamp and something to get a decent recording tone with.

rec pre! :wink:

dude, just buy an SM57 new, it'll run you like $85 at L&M and it'll last you forever. if someone sells you one for less than like $50 it's probably ratched. you'll never regret buying an SM57.

USB interfaces are not so hot-- does your computer have a Firewire interface?

CoG said:
rec pre! :wink:

dude, just buy an SM57 new, it'll run you like $85 at L&M and it'll last you forever. if someone sells you one for less than like $50 it's probably ratched. you'll never regret buying an SM57.

USB interfaces are not so hot-- does your computer have a Firewire interface?

Hey, thanks for the input, I like the idea of a sm57, but what about preamp? what will I run it through? alot of people are telling me usb interfaces are the way to go, for cheap semi pro recordings? you have a sm57 you wanna sell me?

lol, I'm using my sm57s, dude, sorry :)

(going off topic here...)

USB is okay but firewire's better, if your pc or laptop has a firewire port. I used a M-audio FW Solo for a while. Worked great. I tried a Presonus Firebox as well, which is supposedly "better", but I've never noticed the difference except in my wallet.

go here or here or here for about a million suggestions and threads on home studio gear.

honestly, I don't think there's that much difference between any of the entry-level i/o devices if you're mostly doing guitar tracks in your bedroom/basement. mic preamps don't have a lot of effect on guitar amp tone compared to the actual mic, the room, etc.

CoG said:
lol, I'm using my sm57s, dude, sorry :)

(going off topic here...)

USB is okay but firewire's better, if your pc or laptop has a firewire port. I used a M-audio FW Solo for a while. Worked great. I tried a Presonus Firebox as well, which is supposedly "better", but I've never noticed the difference except in my wallet.

go here or here or here for about a million suggestions and threads on home studio gear.

honestly, I don't think there's that much difference between any of the entry-level i/o devices if you're mostly doing guitar tracks in your bedroom/basement. mic preamps don't have a lot of effect on guitar amp tone compared to the actual mic, the room, etc.

Well that's good to hear, my pc does have firewire and I was looking at some m audio stuff, but I guess for me, all ineed is something to plug my mic into ( the sm 57 ) which I just bought off ebay, I was also suggested the fast track pro 4x4 by m audio ( i think that's the company ) All i need to do is get 2 stereo inputs for two guitar mics, the sm57 and the later senhieser. so it will sound really thick and stuff and natural...anyways tell me what you think, thanks btw!

I really liked my m-audio interface. Never used the fast-track.

if you're worried about coin but really serious about tone you might be better off buying another sm57 instead of the sennheiser and spending the money you save on good cables and some soundproofing foam, and something to isolate your cab from the floor...

if you're gonna have more than one mic the sound of the room, how you're monitoring, etc. start becoming a big factors in the equation. and if you're playing at serious volumes, you need to start isolating your cab from stuff that will begin vibrating... like your house :twisted:

basically, it's this massive art, and the more you do the less likely anyone except another tonehound will notice the difference :wink:

it's one of the reasons I do DI all the time at home now, it's just way easier to get the sounds I want.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=140
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/articles/20tips.html

if you can swing upto like the $500 price range you can get a presonus firepod which is a very good 8 channel and affordable but not crappy firewirebased interface.

or you can get the mbox which is 2 channel and a little less money. the mbox is really really good and compact but it is sucks that it's only two chanels unless that's all you need.

oh also i bought a lexicon omega a couple years ago when i frst started ive moved up since. it is decent you're not gonna get world class quality but i mean if you want it you can have it. brand new it is like $200 i think at most places.

some kid offered $100 for it once. if you are on a strict budget i guess i can unload it for around that amount. i mean hell it's been sitting in the box for a year and a half now not doing anything.

let me know. though like i said if you can just afford an extra couple of hundred just get an mbox new. it's so much better. or the firepod for about the same price.

Latest posts

Back