Wrong placement in power section and KT88/KT66 issues...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xwujox

Reaction score
I am a Dual Rectifier 100W user! These days I have been using KT88/KT66 in the power section. However, at the last gig, the fuse got blown and then after show I realized that one of the KT88s (outside section) is blown as well.

Now I wonder if I should keep on using this set of tubes.

After the "accident", I took the KT88/KT66 out and put the stock 6L6 back. Since I don't need so much power in my rehearsal place, so I only put 2 6L6s into the power section. However, I make a mistake by putting the 2 6L6s into the center of the 4 power section spots. Only later I found out they should be placed at the far right and left.

Now did I hurt my amp?

Thanks for taking your time to read this!!!

Joe

The tube placement doesn't matter as long as you have 2 tubes in the x 2 spots or 2 in the y 2. It's all just preference. So no you didn't hurt your amp.

Powertubes= yxxy

If you think you may have hurt something. Hopefully you didn't burn up a screen resister when your tubes blew. Just something to check.

boxcarmonument said:
The tube placement doesn't matter as long as you have 2 tubes in the x 2 spots or 2 in the y 2. It's all just preference. So no you didn't hurt your amp.

Powertubes= yxxy

If you think you may have hurt something. Hopefully you didn't burn up a screen resister when your tubes blew. Just something to check.

+1

Put the tubes in the sockets that the blown KT88 wasn't in. IE - if the blown tube was in the far left socket, put the 6L6s in the center sockets.

Chances are you took out a screen resistor when the tube blew. If you're handy with a multi-meter and soldering iron, you could take the chassis out and check the resistor, but make sure you don't have the tubes in the amp or you'll get an odd reading. They should be 1K ohm 2 watt resistors +/- 10%.

Back