Wow the combo cabinet sucks or my avatar rocks...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t2mike2

Reaction score
I am leaning towards both. I have to say i liked my mark v , but the tone still wasnt perfect. I was slightly on the fence about it.

I couldnt sleep however so i decided to plug my mark v into my customized Avatar cabinet.
This is actually a Ported Bass Cabinet i got from avatar. I ripped out the speaker and tweeter and put in a Warehouse Classic Lead 80 copy.

All i can say is WOW. Its like a new amp!
the edge and mark 1 setting that i felt were un usable before came to life. So rich and so balanced.

The clean is close to the same but much more chimey! and the tweed is delicious instead of slightly harsh now!'

and oh the lead! before everything was a little "muddy" compared to my bugera, but now its so tight and focused! I mean now its so easy to just NAIL that metallica sound. If anyone doubts this thing can do metal, they just need to be sure they have the right cab!

The plus side is now i am both in love with the amp, and totally in love with this cabinet. The best part is all this big tone is in a 1x12 .

I actually like it better than my bud's mesa theile cab.

man.

i am happy now. Now i have the perfect tone......

~mike~

t2mike2 said:
I am leaning towards both. I have to say i liked my mark v , but the tone still wasnt perfect. I was slightly on the fence about it.

I couldnt sleep however so i decided to plug my mark v into my customized Avatar cabinet.
This is actually a Ported Bass Cabinet i got from avatar. I ripped out the speaker and tweeter and put in a Warehouse Classic Lead 80 copy.

the edge and mark 1 setting that i felt were un usable before came to life. So rich and so balanced.

The clean is close to the same but much more chimey! and the tweed is delicious instead of slightly harsh now!'

and oh the lead! before everything was a little "muddy" compared to my bugera, but now its so tight and focused! I mean now its so easy to just NAIL that metallica sound. If anyone doubts this thing can do metal, they just need to be sure they have the right cab!

The plus side is now i am both in love with the amp, and totally in love with this cabinet. The best part is all this big tone is in a 1x12 .

man.

~mike~
Avatar is really underrated. They make great stuff and their customer service is some of the best around. I have a 2x12(which is for sale) and a 4x12 and they sound as good to me as the Recto 2x12 for much less. I just switched to the 4x12 on my Mark V and it sounds huge! The Mark IV channel has way more thud to it now, I thought it was a little thin at first. Then again, all the channels sound a little thin compared to the Mark I setting, man I love that sound! Keep rocking the V man!

What ironic to me is that the cab i have is underrated by the owner! A bud of mine spoke to him a few years ago trying to convince him to do ported guitar cabs, and he refused saying they all sounded like poo.

He reallllly should have tried a few more speaker combinations. I tried a vintage 30 in this thing and it was big but it was mud city, and sucked for clean. But the Warehouse classic lead (which i like better than the real thing) in here is just perfectly balanced but it has this big 4x12 sound and that same "thud" you spoke of, like that clank that metallica gets where it sounds like a slight ms reverb.
But yeah avater is awesome, superior cabs to most of the big boys for less money. I mean of course its less, the guy get the cabs built for him in china, but still bottom line is they are great cabs.

~mike~

Hey, tell me about the Avatar 2x12 you have for sale. Shipping would be to Philadephia, 19102.

Dan

t2mike2 said:

man.

~mike~

+1

hated the Mark IV combo so much. Seriously, I couldn't figure out why anyone liked the amp at all. Fast forward 3 years and I take another shot at the Mark IV. This time I blindly bought a Mark IV short head. Paired it with my Bogner OS 2x12 and the rest is history. I couldn't believe it was the same amp, it sounded that different (in a good way). Mark series amp heads through a solid cabinet with the right speakers have ruined me from all other amps I have tried since.

Send me my head now!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I havent found many combo amps that sounded good except for the lonestar. Ive had a few chances playing a Mark IV at work and it never really sounded super good. darn combos!!!

everything sounds better from a dedicated cabinet

I've never played a high gain combo i liked. Even IIC+ combos sound loose, boxy, etc IMHO.

Even though the Ace combo is closed back i still didn't like it either. The only combo that supposedly doesn't have the typical boxy,mushy tone is the Diezel Einstein 1x12.

I just sold an Avatar 2X12 with a v30 and a ght75 so I could buy another Avatar 4X12. Snobs need to get their heads out of their asses. An Avatar contemporary cab is made of 3/4" thick birch free plywood just like a Mesa or Marshall. Put in the same speakers (of your choice) and tolex of your choice, etc. Now you have a Mesa/Marshall cab for $350 less than the "name" brand. Go by a stupid name plate and swap it for the Avatar.
My instructor/band mate guitarist made fun of my first Avatar cab as soon as he saw it. Of course when he played it he found bad things to say. His Marshall sounds flubby and overly bassed out. Fast forward a year and now he likes the Avatar better and is going to get one. He's been a pro for 15 years now and should have known better....but then again, he never heard of Avatar before............... :roll:

i've never heard an open-back Mark that didn't sound better w/an EV in it. (They don't always fit so well though)

dank said:
Hey, tell me about the Avatar 2x12 you have for sale. Shipping would be to Philadephia, 19102.

Dan

Oops. It's sold, sorry about that! Have a new Avatar 4x12 I'm using now. Sounds AWESOME!!!!

MarkIVwidebody said:
I just sold an Avatar 2X12 with a v30 and a ght75 so I could buy another Avatar 4X12. Snobs need to get their heads out of their asses. An Avatar contemporary cab is made of 3/4" thick birch free plywood just like a Mesa or Marshall. Put in the same speakers (of your choice) and tolex of your choice, etc. Now you have a Mesa/Marshall cab for $350 less than the "name" brand. Go by a stupid name plate and swap it for the Avatar.
My instructor/band mate guitarist made fun of my first Avatar cab as soon as he saw it. Of course when he played it he found bad things to say. His Marshall sounds flubby and overly bassed out. Fast forward a year and now he likes the Avatar better and is going to get one. He's been a pro for 15 years now and should have known better....but then again, he never heard of Avatar before............... :roll:

You think your avatar is good then you gotta try a Mills Acoustics Afterburner.... quite possibly the BEST cab i've ever played through. The design is the key to what makes it sound so good... the internal baffle (afterburner) kills free standing waves within the cab giving you a huge, yet tight and articulate. If you ever get a chance to play once you gotta try it.

BTW, the differences in an Avatar as opposed to a Mesa is more in the baffle and the build quality. IME a Mesa cab is going to sound more solid than an Avatar... not saying Avatar is a bad cab by any means (especially for the $$) but there is a difference (not just the name plate :D )

Back