Would you sell a 2:90 to get a 2:100?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightywarlock

Reaction score
so if you look at my signature, you can see my gear. I don't know if i will ever get a Triaxis, which was something i always thought about...and one reason i have held onto the 2:90 for a very long time. 2 weeks ago i picked up a Recto Pre to use instead of my Triple head, and I am really liking it a lot at the moment, but am using it with my Marshall power amp to get the sound needed for the band i am using it with (more punkish).

I saw a 2:100 for sale locally on the net and got to thinking,should i sell my 2:90 to get a 2:100, thereby allowing me to faithfully getting the recto head sound, thereby allowing me to sell my head and not worry about it?

but then, what if one day i do buy a triaxis...
i lose out on the Half Drive, and Deep modes from the 2:90.

i HAVE been to the Mesa store and tried both amps out, and originally liked the 2:90 better for the tone i was trying to get to. but lately i have been thinking since i have the Marshall power amp which i have been using more lately, maybe i should swap my 2:90 for the 2:100.

opinions?
:?:

Never I use mine with triaxis.
Mark series including triaxis is 1.000 better than rectifier.
I'll never change my stuff :wink:

If you think you'll get a triaxis setup and want the 2:90 for the options, just keep it. You already said you've been using the marshall power amp lately anyway, so would you even use the 2:100 or would it just sit while you use the marshall and then when you get a triaxis wish you had the 2:90.

I use a 2:100 with a triaxis,and love it.
Never used a 2:90.I also own a 20/20.
I am going to get rid of my 20/20 now.I get the sound i want with
a triaxis ,external eq,and a 2:100.

I use a 2:100 with a triaxis,and love it.
Never used a 2:90.I also own a 20/20.
I am going to get rid of my 20/20 now.I get the sound i want with
a triaxis ,external eq,and a 2:100.

mightywarlock said:
so if you look at my signature, you can see my gear. I don't know if i will ever get a Triaxis, which was something i always thought about...and one reason i have held onto the 2:90 for a very long time. 2 weeks ago i picked up a Recto Pre to use instead of my Triple head, and I am really liking it a lot at the moment, but am using it with my Marshall power amp to get the sound needed for the band i am using it with (more punkish).

I saw a 2:100 for sale locally on the net and got to thinking,should i sell my 2:90 to get a 2:100, thereby allowing me to faithfully getting the recto head sound, thereby allowing me to sell my head and not worry about it?

i HAVE been to the Mesa store and tried both amps out, and originally liked the 2:90 better for the tone i was trying to get to. but lately i have been thinking since i have the Marshall power amp which i have been using more lately, maybe i should swap my 2:90 for the 2:100.

opinions?

Definitely get the 2:100 and sell the Marshall. The reason being you can swap EL34s for 6L6s with the 2:100 whenever you want. It would be like having a Mesa power amp AND a Marshall power amp. The 2:100 would give you a pure bred Recto. The Modern switch on the 2:100 kicks in the Recto sound in a big way. I played my Trem-O-Verb head with EL34s, so I have a good idea of what tone you're after.

^^^^^
well that whole "marshall and mesa poweramp in one" statement is not quite true. yes, you will get two different sounds from the poweramp, but you are still using a rectifier poweramp. he plays punk, so he does not require the tight tracking a 2:90 poweramp can offer.

since you already have a recto pre, id say if you want to get the 2:100, go for it. some will say "keep the 2:90 in case", and thats fine, the triaxis does sound great, i just dont think it would suit your style of music. on the other hand the recto sound would suit you perfectly

Even if you get the 2:100, I don't think there is a tube rectified setting. The best true Rec sound you would get would be like running in diode mode. Granted, there are specific jacks for running the Rec Pre as opposed to running any other preamp. I thought long ad hard about the setup myself. I ended up just buying a head because you actually get more options as a Rec and because I gave up on racks years ago.

PC Biz said:
mightywarlock said:

opinions?

Definitely get the 2:100 and sell the Marshall. The reason being you can swap EL34s for 6L6s with the 2:100 whenever you want. It would be like having a Mesa power amp AND a Marshall power amp. The 2:100 would give you a pure bred Recto. The Modern switch on the 2:100 kicks in the Recto sound in a big way. I played my Trem-O-Verb head with EL34s, so I have a good idea of what tone you're after.

I agree. It shouldn't be a choice between a 2.90 and a 2.100. Have both and sell the marshall because the 2.100 can run el34s.

so tonight while at rehearsal, ch.A of the marshall bit the dust.

just went out, no fuses blown, all tubes still glowing.

guess i am gonna have to go back to my 2:90 with the recto pre now.

i dont know if i can trust the marshall if this is going to happen...dont know what is wrong...i can hear sound coming out but it is very low...and Ch. B works just fine which i switched the cable to it, so its not the the preamp...

what a pain.

keep the 2:90 and get a triaxis..... if you get the ones with the phat mod they have the recto ciruitry in it..... fully programable and 1 space instead of 2...... plus the full spectrum of mesa tones

jdurso said:
keep the 2:90 and get a triaxis..... if you get the ones with the phat mod they have the recto ciruitry in it..... fully programable and 1 space instead of 2...... plus the full spectrum of mesa tones

My thoughts exactly bro! I freakin love my TRIAXIS (with Phat Mod) and 2:90 ! If you don't get a total TONE BONNER from that pair , well.. :lol:

Latest posts

Back