Would adding a condenser to a Shure SM57 be a no no for cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106ESP

Reaction score
I just got this and was wondering if I made a wrong decision to record speaker cabs as it seems more high end for vocals. I normally use 2 SHURE SM57's but my room sucks for recording and my dirties always sound like poo poo ;)

DSC00359--.jpg

That's a vocal mic isn't it? I wouldn't use it on a cab, but honestly as long
as you record each mic you use into a separate mono track, you can always just delete one if it sounds like crap and you won't have to worry about messing up the rest of the song. Sennheiser e609s sound really nice for guitars.

i bet this will give you far better sound than any sm 57

the specs promise good results at high spl up to 138db (153 at 2.5k)
from the frequency response it looks good as well. not to close to the speaker, the closer - the more bass. its side adddressed

nice shot! tell us about your experiences

stay tuned.

just watch the spl levels as the above poster mentioned. condensers are usually placed a little further back I believe.

thanks guys will try, My room sucks as it has hard wood floors and oval ceiling (redone attic), so I will try some clips with it alone and in combo with the SM57 to experiment. :)

You could try recording a track with the SM57 and one with the KSM, then blend them together. That's generally what most folks do. But, if you say that your room has bad acoustics, the condensor will more than likely bring that out, more so than the 57.

The KSM should be a great mic for acoustic guitar, and of course vocals.

You most certainly can use a condenser for electric guitar but it depends on the mic. I've gotten killer results with my old AT4033 by itself and in conjunction with an SM57 or Beta58. Sometimes I'll mix them together to one track while recording and sometimes I'll print each to its own track. It depends. I've found when recording very high gain guitar that a condenser sounds good about 4 feet off the cab but if you are in a fairly live room you'll probably want to keep the mic about 4-8 inches off the speaker to keep the room sound from taking over.

Shure makes some killer mics...so fire up your rig and experiment with that puppy and happy tracks!

Thanks guys! I will give these ideas a try. I was thinking of going the ISO cab route or getting a small 1x12 with a v30 and bring it down to another room and since my rack is portable:

rack%20smaller.JPG

I can just bring it down for recording. I will keep ya posted. Thanks again!

As I understand it, SM57s and SM58s have the identical capsule, so they should sound the same, although SM58s are the "conventional" cab mic. I think combining condensor mics and dynamic mics is a great technique. I use a $200, large-diaphragm, side-address Audio Technica AT3035 and an SM57. I put the '57 right into the cone, and the AT3035 a few feet away from the cab to "hear the room." I also use an inexpensive (<$200) PreSonus dual micpre. It has a 12AX7 tube plus a solid-state micpre, and you're able to dial in the mix between the two.

Also you might want to try a ribbon microphone with the 57 if you end up not digging the condenser. Ribbons kinda went out of style for a little bit but they are coming back with a bang and there are some pretty good pretty cheap ones floating around. Check out http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT%20HEAD.html

Back