Winged C 12ax7's on Ebay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklesmcgraw

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12AX7-SVETLANA-FLYING-C_W0QQitemZ310116854379QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item483467aa6b

I love the 6L6 Winged C power tubes.......how are these compared to stock Mesa 12ax7's?

.....Hey, the 6L6's are Power Tubes, and the 12ax7's are preamp tubes my friend, two diffrent animals altogether, and the e-Bay auction in reference to your question is for a
12AX7 SVETLANA 'FLYING C' Preamp tubes as opposed to a "Winged C" which is only a Power Tube.
Wow, after trying to explain this I must admit i may be slightly confused .................

P.S. I will admit I never heard of the term "Flying C" as far as tubes go.....
maybe someone else could enlighten us with their knowledge
as to how good these preamp tubes are........

Those are true SED =C= tubes. I've bought 5 of them from that guy and they blow any current production 12ax7 i have tried right out of the water. very warm and beefy sounding tube.

Thank you for that, although I am already fully aware what kind of tube they are.

I was just interested in peoples opinions of the Winged C 12ax7's as in my opinion their power tubes are excellent.

Anyone else have any experience with these tubes???

I have bought two to try out so will report back with my findings.

If they sound anything like the power tubes we will be in good shape.

I have just tried one of these in V1 position on my MK IVA.

Initial findings are that this preamp tube is very warm rounded and beefy sounding. It most definitely removes some of the higher ice picky treble frequencies. Give the tone an overall warmer and thicker sound.

I would definitely recommend them if anyone feels that their MK IV is a bit on the harsh side as it certainly tames back those icy highs.

Try one out.

8)

Yup exactly what I found. They will also help with the fizz on a recto. On that note you may find yourself running less low end than normal because thy are a bit darker sounding tube.

Just tried these on my MKIV and it sounded great for about 2 minutes. then all the sudden it sounded like when the tv goes out and you see black and white things going all around. Static galore so I put the old tube back in wonderful again. Not even 2 more minutes later the clean channel sounds like a sin wave bell tone. I tap the other =c= 12ax7 and well I guess that's what they call microphonic since none of the other tubes do that while taped. **** they where expensive too

Edit: It did however sound noticeably really good before the problems. I wish they where not so expensive because if they worked they would be so worth it.

sparklesmcgraw said:
I have just tried one of these in V1 position on my MK IVA.

Initial findings are that this preamp tube is very warm rounded and beefy sounding. It most definitely removes some of the higher ice picky treble frequencies. Give the tone an overall warmer and thicker sound.

I would definitely recommend them if anyone feels that their MK IV is a bit on the harsh side as it certainly tames back those icy highs.

Try one out.

8)

For a cheap tube swap you can pick up a matched quad of JJ EL34's for the power section. That really puts a smooth voice on the MKV. Especally te warmer and thicker you mentioned above. There are many threads on that.
I have ran the SED Winged C 6L6 power tubes in my MKV and Rectifier. Great globes. I am interested in those SED 12's there. I have Tung Sols across my preamp. The EL34 option just adds another amp voice for not much coin....

I put the =c= 12ax7 in a few different spots on the MKIV v1 v2 v3 v4 and both of them are obviously microphonic. With all JJ's in I can tap the tubes and I get almost no sound with either of the =c= in there I can tap the whole amp or just the tube and it sounds like someone dropped a tuning fork. One of them is super high static as well. The guy that sold them on ebay says he has sold 1000's with no problem and they are tested 100%.

Ill put a vid on youtube later showing how bad they are

kartoffel said:
Just tried these on my MKIV and it sounded great for about 2 minutes. then all the sudden it sounded like when the tv goes out and you see black and white things going all around. Static galore so I put the old tube back in wonderful again. Not even 2 more minutes later the clean channel sounds like a sin wave bell tone. I tap the other =c= 12ax7 and well I guess that's what they call microphonic since none of the other tubes do that while taped. **** they where expensive too

Edit: It did however sound noticeably really good before the problems. I wish they where not so expensive because if they worked they would be so worth it.

One of the problems with new production tubes is the lack of consistency in production quality. You just found out. Bummer. That is exactly why Mesa Engineering has a "robotube" testing unit and why they throw away so many tubes that don't meet their standards. With that said, and that is a compliment to Mesa, I collect vintage tubes because I like their tones better than new made stuff. And I do get some lemons. Goes with the territory. If you think that your Svetlana 12ax7's are expensive, then price some Mullard 10m 12ax7's on eBay. :shock: Peace.

212Mavguy said:
kartoffel said:

One of the problems with new production tubes is the lack of consistency in production quality. You just found out. Bummer. That is exactly why Mesa Engineering has a "robotube" testing unit and why they throw away so many tubes that don't meet their standards. With that said, and that is a compliment to Mesa, I collect vintage tubes because I like their tones better than new made stuff. And I do get some lemons. Goes with the territory. If you think that your Svetlana 12ax7's are expensive, then price some Mullard 10m 12ax7's on eBay. :shock: Peace.

Mav,

What do you think about the NOS Siemens EL34 pairs Mesa is brand naming and selling for 150 a pair, guaranteed to work and keep warranty.

Thx

I have a couple of non Mesa vintage old stock Siemens el34's, and I think they are wonderful! Have Russian el34 and JJ Czech e34l, and for tone the Siemens smokes them both and those are nice sounding tubes to my ears as well.

Back