Will there ever be a Mark V ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Kind of a philosophical question, I know, but the Mark IV is my favorite Mesa of all time. But it's still got some shortcomings (e.g., shared EQ) and lacks some of the Mesa innovations from more recent years (e.g., footswitchable solo boost). Feels like the Mark series has been forgotten by Mesa to focus on Rectifiers, Stillettos, F-series, Lone Stars, etc.

I'd love to have an amp (Mark V!) that's a cross between a Mark IV and a Road King... 4 independent Mark-inspired channels into a switchable power section. Maybe that's too much like the Triaxis/2:90 pair, but I'd still love to see it in a head or 2x12 combo.

--B

From the Mesa Boogie website, a nice quote from Mr. Smith:

WILL THERE EVER BE A MARK V?

“Yes, there will probably be a Mark V… but not for a long time. And it will probably sound just like the Mark IV but with a simpler control layout. It’s not next on my palette because the Mark IV is still going strong after 12 or 13 years. But who knows? By the time that bad boy comes around, anything could happen!”

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/guitarist-F-50/Designing_f-50.htm

Look all the way down at the end of the article.

I think the phrase, "if it isn’t broke, don't fix it" applies here. The cost of designing and developing a new amp to essentially "replace" an already great selling amp really isn't worth it. After 16-17 years the Mark IV is still selling well, and I really can't think of anything I'd want to improve.

Simpler? how?

Triple Channel DR/TR have more knobs and switches. Look at their sales.

I think it will take more popular users than anything. There are so many people playing the DR/TR that influences people to buy it to get that sound. The people that like the Mark series sound can buy the Mark IV or reissue I. Seriously though, people migrate to what is popular. Right now the Mark isn't as popular as the Recto.

If anything I think that a Mark V would have even more chaos amongst the knobs. It would certainly have additional switches and knobs going on. In fact I think that it would probably sell better in a long head though a deviation from the rackmountable chassis of the short head not that the medium heads aren't though. It would spread out the knobs a little and look less intimidating to the user trying to figure it out. Granted it will never be a 5-6 knob crank it to ten machine, but that is not what Mesa is about.

The Mark IV short head is pretty cramped for space inside the chassis. To add further circuitry I would imagine that Mesa would need to go to a larger chassis, at least a medium if not a long. The Mark IV's controls are not that complex so much as they are interactive. I think that if the design was such that the controls were to affect only what it is called then it might be easier to use. I never thought that the treble control should have any bearing on what the mids or lows are doing much less the character of the gain but it seems to be the case. The tone controls seem to overlap a little too much. It makes a new user really have to listen as they turn the knobs and learn how they interact. The eq can be helpful to get the sound you want but it too can be a critical point. Without it the amp sounds a little lacking. With it you have to take into consideration your curve while adjusting the knobs or vice versa. In either case it can take a while to get the tone you are searching for because the entire amp is really sensitive to knob adjustments compared to other amps.

I think that they should incorporate the Recto as a separate channel. I know it would be redundant to do so with the Recto in its own line but it would make the Mark that much more versatile. I am not saying make an F amp or a DC but just add the Recto to the Mark. I know it would take adding the recto circuitry to both the preamp and the power amp but I think they would sell the hell out of them. Could you imagine a 6 channel beast? Or what if they incorporated the LSS/LSC too? You would have the best of all worlds Mesa then. Granted your amp would wiegh in at nearly 150Lbs., but on a dolly who cares? I feel such an amp would be a great studio amp or even a home user amp but gigging would not be very fun unless you were touring with lots of roadies. Can you imagine the footcontroller? I think the thing would be huge. Imagine if they loaded it with the large lit TC switches.

Sounds like a Road King that needs a graphic EQ. The RK's Ch. 1 and 2 already use the MK IV style tonestack, but they dont have the gain to get into the MK IV arena. When you get to Ch. 3 and 4 the tone stack is pure Recto. The amp sounds totally possible with a taller chassis and midi switching like the Triaxis. It would be nice to have a graphic EQ on a Recto.
With Mesa's Progressive linkage, this amp is totally possible, but highly improbable.

plumptone said:
From the Mesa Boogie website, a nice quote from Mr. Smith:

WILL THERE EVER BE A MARK V?

It will probably sound just like the Mark IV but with a simpler control layout.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/guitarist-F-50/Designing_f-50.htm

Look all the way down at the end of the article.

personally, I usually like gear with tons of controls. If i could change anything about the Mark IV though, I would make the recording / DI output better. Something like an XLR output with more fidelity. I've tried recording direct with the mark 4 , and while the lead channel sounds great this way, the clean sounds too dark and muddy for my taste.

I think I would take a rev. a (or prior to rev. designator), maybe one of the first 500, or the limited rack version....

What about the version that comes out after successful modding of the original?

I am just unsure whether I would get the short, medium, or long head version....

Do you think they would finally make a 2x12 combo of it?

It would be nice if they reissued the mk cabinets with it.

Back