will Svetlana winged C logo EL34 harm my Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pisquano

Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked many times, but I am a new Mark IV owner, still unfamiliar with the "fixed" bias concept.

I currently have Mesa tubes, but I'd like to put two EL34 on the outer sockets, especialy these matched Svetlana winged C logo I have.

now even by looking around I couldn't find the answer to my doubt: if I put them in the mark IV, how do I know if they are too "hot" for the amp?
many people I know don't care and just put them in, as the outer sockets should be biased really cold.
thanks everyone!!!

Fed

I'm not sure on the exact range, I'm sure someone here will..

but all of mine have been between 27-31mA

I run 29's in there now in my outer sockets, same tubes. The =C= are amazing with the Mark IV.

Platypus said:
I'm not sure on the exact range, I'm sure someone here will..

but all of mine have been between 27-31mA

I run 29's in there now in my outer sockets, same tubes. The =C= are amazing with the Mark IV.

thanks Platypus.,what color code does you amp have?(mine has green).,.some people seems to suggest the the range of the EL34 will always be fine with the outer sockets.
another mate suggested I checked the anodic current, then plug the EL34 and check if it's within the 70% rule...sort of reverse engineering to be on the safe side.
Couldn't Mesa just explain what values the color codes correspond to :cry: :x ?

pisquano said:
thanks Platypus.,what color code does you amp have?(mine has green).,.some people seems to suggest the the range of the EL34 will always be fine with the outer sockets.
another mate suggested I checked the anodic current, then plug the EL34 and check if it's within the 70% rule...sort of reverse engineering to be on the safe side.
Couldn't Mesa just explain what values the color codes correspond to :cry: :x ?

Everything I have ever read actually written by Mesa-Boogie says that their color-codes serve only to match tubes to each other and are not related to any particular electronic or tone-related specifications. FWIW.

a guy from Watford valves (suppliers of Brian May) replied to my enquiry "yea you can put Svetlana Winged C as long as they are in the "correct " current"
to which I asked: what is the correct current

and he goes "anything over 20m/a on our testers which we have used for over 14 years with a fixed bias, the only problem is that if they draw below this..."

can someone help me decipher especially the last part? :oops:

why would a too "cold" tube be a problem??

Latest posts

Back