Will Mesa install a graphic EQ in one of their older amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I am digging my Studio .22 but I'm finding that I miss having the graphic EQ to play with, like the Studio Preamp has...I could put an EQ pedal in the loop, but out of curiosity, will Mesa do a retro install of the graphic EQ in an amp like this? If so, is it expensive?

Put a good EQ in the loop.

Mesa will (sometimes) add a GEQ to models that had it as an option. But it's wicked expensive and Mike B. will try to talk you out of it. Just ain't worth it. I've heard it costing as much as $500!

OK, yeah, definitely not interested in spending that. As far as a 'good EQ', any recommendations? Any advantage to using a rack EQ running on high voltage instead of an EQ pedal running on 9V?

im thinking about it too, i own MkIII blackdot without EQ and i miss it soooo much, also own caliber and there i can get great sound. Boss EQ's really sux, they take so much signal and they destroy the sound :(
I want some 5slides EQ, 5+ are to complicated to get the sound, ive got used to classic mesa eq....

I'm likely in the minority...

I look at it like this, if it is $500 consider yourself to have the problem solved with ONLY money. You will and have gotten $500 so many times in your life already correct? how many times will you get the GEQ? Just the ONE TIME you decide too.

Do it and smile no matter what the cost. I am always very happy when all it takes is money. Life is much harder in real life....

GIG4FUN said:
I'm likely in the minority...

I look at it like this, if it is $500 consider yourself to have the problem solved with ONLY money. You will and have gotten $500 so many times in your life already correct?

I'm with you on this one.

5 band GEQ is a must-have, no matter the cost.

Not to be a party-pooper, but what if it takes 18 months to get your amp returned?

Spending money is fine, but do it wisely. Get a good EQ to put in the loop, or just sell the amp and buy one that has an EQ, you'll probably find you can do that a LOT cheaper than having your amp modded. 450-500 to have it done, shipping both ways, plus any other small things he finds and you can pretty much buy another amp.

Funny you should say that...there is a .22+ with EQ on eBay right now, and the BIN price with shipping equals what I paid for mine. I guess I could buy it and keep whichever one I like better, huh...

disassembled said:
Why not look around for a model with GEQ, buy it, and then sell yours?

Greg

what Greg said... yeah, if I had a MkIII without EQ and I could just pay $500 and have an EQ magically appear, I might do it, but that ain't how it works.

First I'd ebay the one w/o EQ, putting a $200 premium on it b/c it doesn't have the "tone-sucking EQ" :lol: and then wait for one with EQ to come up.

Actually, I'd probably buy the new one first, because I have more money than brains.

Resurrecting this to say that I just won a .22+ with EQ on eBay for $100 less than I paid for the .22 without EQ...go figure. As seems to be common with these amps, it is missing a couple of EQ slider caps...any chance I could get reasonably-priced replacements from Mesa?

I'm planning on selling whichever one I like less. I would like to keep the grill from the .22 with the Boogie logo instead of the one from the .22+ with the Mesa/Boogie logo though. Also would kind of like to keep the blue pilot light from the .22...

Latest posts

Back