will a Mark III tonally land me somewhere between...........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
my Rectoverb and MY JSX.
I love the lead tone I get from my JSX and I love the rhythm tone I get from my Recto.
The lead tone is good on my bridge pickups with my recto, but not as good with my neck pickups as it is with my JSX.
I wish I could just melt these 2 amps into one amp.
Is a Mark III somewhere between the two of them?
I really need to downsize to one amp and I think I want it to be a Mesa.
I thik the Stilleto is too Marshally sounding for me, that's why I'm thinking Mark III.

oh and BTW what the hell is with the current run on Mark III's on Ebay.
last week I saw 3 III's go in the low $600.00's (I should grabbed one)
this week I'm seeing the same heads (stripes options etc) going for over $1,200.00 (one went for $1,400.00). :roll:
whassup with that??? :?:

in a short answer, No. The rhythm tone of a MKIII doesn't even sound close to a recto, much tighter and smoother than a recto. And the lead tone will probably blow away the JSX.

yeah i kinda feel that if you had to put them in some sort of spectrum the mark series would end up outside of the two. rec on the rhythm end the jsx somewhere in the middle and the mark out on the lead end of things. but dont let that fool you, marks are sweet rhythm amps but i think they are just too tight for some people

I don't have a problem with tight, I actually would prefer my Recto being a smidge tighter. :D
The JSX is very tight and I actually like it for the most part, it just isn't thick like a Mesa, I think that's what is missing for me. I also like the darker mid voicing of Mesa as compared to the upper mid "brighter" voicing of the JSX.
My Rectoverb is the first Mesa I've ever owned, and I love how thick and big sounding it is. I have an EQ in the loop and a boost in front, and I always run it in Vintage mode, so it's EQ-ed pretty tight for a Recto, but for lead playing it's almost "too thick" it doesn't have a liquidy chimy lead tone (like the JSX does) or like I imaginee a Mark III or IV would.

Latest posts

Back