Will a LS Classic with Yellowjackets sound like LS Special?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhound76s

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just found this forum. Awesome stuff:)

My 30th birthday is next month, and I am going for a custom finish Lonestar 1x12 to celebrate. I'm leaning heavily toward the LS Classic because of the added power, and I love 6l6 tube clean tones. I've also played the LS Special and love the flavor of the EL-84's.

My question is this...since the two Lonestar models share the same preamp design, is it reasonable to expect that adding THD yellowjacket EL-84 converters in a LS Classic would yield similar tones to the LSS? I think it would be killer since the Classic already accepts 6L6 and EL34, this would add a third dimension to an already versatile amp.

Anyone tried this or have any input?

The special and the Classic are completely different in respects to their power sections which ultimatly refocuses the entire tone of the amplifier. Ive done some research on Class A amplifiers and what they are in referance to Class A/B including Randal Smith's(Mesa owner) "Class A Exposed & Explained" article on the website http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA.htm. Something you should know is that every tube preamp in the world runs 100% class A. This is where you get the warmth or your amplifier and also the saturaion and massive break-up. Class A amplifiers are lower wattage and take more tubes to create the lower wattage output and also run hotter(but who cares). Class A/B amplifiers provide more wattage and stay cleaner longer with less break-up.

Lets cut to it. Tonally with the Class A/B you will find a bigger tone and allot more....HiFi sounding with the class A preamp behind it. It will be clearer for louder volumes. Very fat "Fender" bell-like tones in combination with the warm class A preamp.

Class A, you have a Class A preamp that is intern being amplified by a Class A amplifier. So you have warm and sweet going into warm and sweet. This is nice in certain applications. Think Vox AC30 in an old beatles song or a Brian May solo. To my ear the mids stay focused as the volume is turned up and the lows and highs get "sweeter" and sparkly for that "Jangle" which is beautifull to certain ears. Something that you should know is that as you turn the poweramp volume, @ a certain point, like the gain in a preamp which in this situation is the volume on your class A power amp, the signal will saturate and will become possible muddy to the ears of the listener. You will want to find the "sweet spot in the power amp's knob and be able to leave it there @ all times to get the best tone. Thats where it is nice to have the lower wattage.

The question is: For your style, do you want more of a "Fender Twin" tone or do you want more of an "AC30: tone? Id go to the music store and try both the Special and Classic @ some pretty variant volumes to determin which is your amp. Thats allot of money to spend to not get the right one for you. FYI: You probably wont discover the magic of the Class A version untill you are up in the 7 out of 10 region of the power amp volume. Dont be afraid to turn it up--after all your looking to buy an amp right? They shouldnt have a problem with it. :wink: :lol:

Sort of but not really ( LoneStar Class w/ Yellow Jackets sounds like LoneStar Special).

Micah description are well taken.

And I would like to add, LSC's transformer is a 100 watt output transformer whether you are playing at 50 watt or 100 watt mode.

Now let say you install Yellow Jackets with EL84s power down to "30 watts", your LSC output transformer is still 100 watt transformer.

Alot vintage guitar / amp aficionados, alot of the tone is coming from the output transformer being "saturated", so whether you are pulling out power stage tubes to lower wattage or adding Yellow Jackets running EL84s, the LSC 100 watt output transformer is not getting "saturated" like typical a AC30 Vox, or in this case Lone Star Special.

I played a LoneStar Special, which is a great sounding amp (as will as its big brother the Lone Star Classic) as much as like pushing the power stage tubes, I prefer Lone Star Special at 30 watts, all EL84s running than its 5 watts or 15 watts mode.

Of course someone going to chime and say "I perfer 'so-so' watt setting, you don't know what you are talking about."

Bottom line, if you enjoy the tone, that all that counts :wink:

Guitar55 said:
I doubt it since the LSS is a Class A amp and the LSC is a Class A/B. Two different animals.

True, but I was under the impression that THD Yellowjackets convert an amp TO class A operation using EL84's. In doing so, they cut down the output power. It seemed reasonable that the tones would be comparable at least.

No, changing the tubes does not change the "class" of the amp. In Class A, the push/pull function occurs in each tube. In Class A/B it occurs across a pair of tubes. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have misstated that.

RR said:
Sort of but not really ( LoneStar Class w/ Yellow Jackets sounds like LoneStar Special).

Micah description are well taken.

And I would like to add, LSC's transformer is a 100 watt output transformer whether you are playing at 50 watt or 100 watt mode.

Now let say you install Yellow Jackets with EL84s power down to "30 watts", your LSC output transformer is still 100 watt transformer.

Alot vintage guitar / amp aficionados, alot of the tone is coming from the output transformer being "saturated", so whether you are pulling out power stage tubes to lower wattage or adding Yellow Jackets running EL84s, the LSC 100 watt output transformer is not getting "saturated" like typical a AC30 Vox, or in this case Lone Star Special.

I played a LoneStar Special, which is a great sounding amp (as will as its big brother the Lone Star Classic) as much as like pushing the power stage tubes, I prefer Lone Star Special at 30 watts, all EL84s running than its 5 watts or 15 watts mode.

Of course someone going to chime and say "I perfer 'so-so' watt setting, you don't know what you are talking about."

Bottom line, if you enjoy the tone, that all that counts :wink:

RR-- Well said! Just to clarify my post was agreeing with your post--in no way will the Yellow Jackets do anything in the line of making it sound class A--Just to clarify!!

Back