Will a Dual Rectifier sound good with a Bogner 2x12 cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Will a Dual Rectifier Roadster sound good with a Bogner 2x12 cab?

Vintage 30s.

I don't know which 2x12 cab to get.

35883.jpg

or

856_1_.jpg

Bogner OS 2X12 or Mesa Recto 2x12 for my Roadster

One thing that sucks about the Bogner is that its not black and it won't match my amp well:(

I play modern hard rock. Think Alter Bridge.

Im going to do a blind purchase and its tough. Which one would you guys get? I have the option to get any of the two for $500. Mint condition.

I just bought the Mesa over the phone. I hope I didn't screw up.

I will have it tomorrow. :D

I'd think the Roadster cab! After all, it is designed to compliment the Roadster series! It would'nt even be a question with me?

i would say you made the right choice going with the mesa. mesa cabs are designed to go with mesa amps, so i would say good job. i have mesa 4x12's and they sound awesome with my dual recto.

barneyc4 said:
No roadster cab in stock:(
Didn't want to wait 3 months for one.

What? Would'nt the wait would be worth it, if you want something not only matched, but engineered for eachother! I would'nt sacrifice what I believe to be a pair, because of a wait? What I would do, as I recently did, is search the country for a dealer that has your cab!?!

barney, I know it sucks dealing with Guitar Center but they might have one in stock at another store and they could transfer it to your location?

I did ask. I called Guitar Center and the salesguy (very helpful) searched for a Roadster 2x12 in all the stores near by and nothing came up.

barneyc4 said:
I did ask. I called Guitar Center and the salesguy (very helpful) searched for a Roadster 2x12 in all the stores near by and nothing came up.

I haven't kept up on this, how is the Roadster cab different from the Recto 2x12

I got my money back. I didnt end up taking the Mesa Recto 2x12.

I found a local store that had the Roadster 2x12 cab and I went there today and tried it out. I was not impressed:(. I tried it with a 2 channel dual rectifier and it sounded too dry. It was lacking something. It didn't work for me. It just didn't sound as big as I thought it would. I didn't end up buying it.

Then I plugged the sucker into a Siletto slanted 4x12 and :shock:

I fell in love with the Stiletto 4x12.

I didn't take it home because it wouldn't fit in my car, but ill go back next week to pick it up. I left it on hold : :D

The Roadster 2x12 cab is smaller than the Recto 2x12.

Why would you judge a Roadster cab with a two channel Dual Rec!

If I were auditioning a Roadster cab for my Roadster head, I'd try it with: A Roadster!

Again, don't you kinda get the idea maybe someone created the Roadster cab to go with the Roadster amp?

yeah, that's one thing i always do if i'm trying out cabs or amps. i ALWAYS bring my own gear. it's kind of a pain lugging it around but it's worth it in the end.

jbird...how do you like that VHT amp of your's? i may be getting one down the road :)

The roadster cabs are teeny. I don't get why Mesa dwarfed those cabs but then again i haven't studied acoustics so there may be a nice logical explanation other than they were cutting costs.

Are you not liking the 412 cab you have now?

Greg

I Don't own a cab right now. Just a head sitting inside an ATA case.

Roadster cab is the smallest 2x12 cab I have ever seen.

Who cares what size they are? Is'nt it about how that cab works with said amp? With that said, I have heard the Roadsters are a little darker sounding! Maybe that's got something to do with the different sizing of the cab, no?

Size does matter. I mean come on be realistic. A speaker that becomes clausterphobic in its own cab isn't going to work too well compared with a cab that has plenty of room to breathe. A bad sounding cab to him is a bad sounding cab to him there are no if ands or buts about it. If he doesn't like it...well it's time to look at something else.

Have you checked out the old Mesa cabs with the metal grill? They are bright cabs but the 212's have a ported bottom speaker. You can also find them equipped with EV's sometimes. Maybe a roadking 212 would work well for you too? I personally like the mix of closed back and open back but that's just me.

Greg

I see jbird's point in this matter too but don't be afraid to experiment to find *your* sound. I like my Mark IV through my 2x12 recto cab for example.

Anyway, you should have used your roadster to demo the roadster cab... as jbird pointed out they were mated for each other so their interaction is ensured... if at that point you dont like what you hear, try another cab out. You might just like the 4x12 because of how much more air it's pushing.. who doesn't love the sound of a cranked halfstack? :p

Latest posts

Back