Will 2 PMEQ's from Master Effects get to Justice Tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Breeze

Reaction score
This was requested by a few folks shortly after they found out I had two PMEQ's from Master Effects, so I had to make the video comparison!

What say you?

You probably can do it with 1 if you use an Emg 81 bridge and take your time dialing the amp in very carefully but the emg is the biggest thing and you have to get the bass right not to flubby and not too thin. That is the guitar tone that all thrash tones are compared to. It’s like the inflames tone or rust in peace.

You probably can do it with 1 if you use an Emg 81 bridge and take your time dialing the amp in very carefully but the emg is the biggest thing and you have to get the bass right not to flubby and not too thin. That is the guitar tone that all thrash tones are compared to. It’s like the inflames tone or rust in peace.
Appreciate the reply! I used an ESP/LTD EXP-200 with EMG 81 for this video, strings that are period correct for Papa Het etc.

That said, you won't get to the justice tone with any single PEQ that I'm aware of. There is some overlap in the modifications to the frequencies, which compounds the level of mid scoops for example, similar with the low frequencies. Even the highs won't get this into the range. Even Lambchopper didn't get close IMO with a single PEQ (Master Effects EQFH)

Currently have a few PEQ's including:
Two PMEQ
5 Presonus EQ3B
1 Alesis Micro EQ
2 Aphex EQF-2

Also have 2 GEQ's
MXR 10 Band
Mesa Boogie 5 Band EQ

With these, I've done a TON of tone searching and the Justice tone won't get there without 2 additional EQ's of some sort, of course the easiest is EQF-2's, but the PMEQ are very close!

Currently have a few PEQ's including:
Two PMEQ
5 Presonus EQ3B
1 Alesis Micro EQ
2 Aphex EQF-2
A whopping 5 EQ3B’s!
I have 2 and they are great tools.
The ‘BW’ (Q) control and the 80Hz high pass filter option make them incredible versatile.
Do you use the HPF knob for obtaining the MOP/AJFA tones?

A whopping 5 EQ3B’s!
I have 2 and they are great tools.
The ‘BW’ (Q) control and the 80Hz high pass filter option make them incredible versatile.
Do you use the HPF knob for obtaining the MOP/AJFA tones?
Before snagging genuine EQF-2's the Presonus was my favorite PEQ! I agree they are incredibly versatile for far more tonal options, even vs most other PEQ's out there, especially for the price.

I no longer use any high or low pass filters, I'll typically use my BOSS CS-1 Compressor up front for similar results. It will smooth out the high and low end spikes.

I've heard a compressor up front is important for Justice and Black album tones, specifically a Boss like yours. I wonder if I should get one... I'm running the new Ibanez PTEQ pedal in the loop of my JP2C to tame some of the ice pic/scratchyness. It's doing its job.

I've heard a compressor up front is important for Justice and Black album tones, specifically a Boss like yours. I wonder if I should get one... I'm running the new Ibanez PTEQ pedal in the loop of my JP2C to tame some of the ice pic/scratchyness. It's doing its job.
The boss cs-1 definitely helps to further remove spikey tones both on the high and low frequencies and seems to improve not clarity IMO, definitely worth checking out!

Back