Why so expensive?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3d

Reaction score
Since i'm fairly new to the whole Boogie community, i was wondering why some models are so expensive?...i look at the classified and i see a MKII for 2700$, i mean it's a 1983, you can get a early MKIII for what!...1000$? So what's so special about the MKII...appart from been old naturally.

I would imagine what you have seen is a Mk ll C+, they command high prices as they are meant to be the Holy Grail of Mk lll's. A good old blue stripe Mk lll with quality tubes sounds close enough to a llC+ for me and I can buy a good guitar with the change.

I can’t tell you why as far as how many are around and so on. But really two things I think, the first is plain old demand. Then a respected guitarist using them like John Petrucci which just increases the demand.

lesterpaul said:
do a C+ search on this site and make sure you have plenty of time and beverage....your thirst for knowledge will be quenched

ahaha..ok.will do

gts said:
I don't care what anybody here says about Red or Blue stripes being close to or almost the same. Having tried both Red and Blue they are not. IMHO No MkIII comes close, Sorry boys just the way it is.

Tell us how you REALLY feel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

al3d said:
Since i'm fairly new to the whole Boogie community, i was wondering why some models are so expensive?...i look at the classified and i see a MKII for 2700$, i mean it's a 1983, you can get a early MKIII for what!...1000$? So what's so special about the MKII...appart from been old naturally.
In the vintage amps market that's not expensive at all. You wanna see expensive check out a boutique amp. /13 runs about $3500 or so and that's not even approaching the price of a Dumble, Trainwreck, etc. etc. For what it is a IIC+ is a steal.

devilrob1979 said:
al3d said:
In the vintage amps market that's not expensive at all. You wanna see expensive check out a boutique amp. /13 runs about $3500 or so and that's not even approaching the price of a Dumble, Trainwreck, etc. etc. For what it is a IIC+ is a steal.

I was speaking in "relative" termn realy. I don't buy the whole "boutique amps and pedal deal" realy, sorry, it's just me. Not gonna pay 3500$ for an amp that sounds just like a 700$ Fender reverve reissue.

Soldano, Bogner, Diezel, ENGL, Custom Audio Electronics, Matchless, Fuchs, etc etc etc... are all wayyy more expensive. I can't stand seeing Mesa users ***** about Mesa prices.

al3d said:
devilrob1979 said:
al3d said:

I was speaking in "relative" termn realy. I don't buy the whole "boutique amps and pedal deal" realy, sorry, it's just me. Not gonna pay 3500$ for an amp that sounds just like a 700$ Fender reverve reissue.

i've always felt like it's a game of inches. once you get past a certain price range you start spending a lot for a small improvement. you would probably see a bigger difference going from a $400 amp to a $1000 amp, rather than from a $2000 one to a $2600 one. it's up to each of us to decide what's worth it of course.

another thing to consider is that you've got all these components (guitar, pickups, cables, pedals, tubes, speakers, etc.) and it all sort of adds up. seems to be a bit of a waste if you drop a lot of money on just one of those elements when you don't have any intention of upgrading the rest.

gts said:
al3d said:
.......... Not gonna pay 3500$ for an amp that sounds just like a 700$ Fender reverve reissue.
:roll: Words from a neophyte, a true voice of inexperience.... :roll:
Play through a C+ first then open your mouth. :twisted:

+1

I rolled my eyes at the hype myself until I played through one.. now no other amp is even close in my opinion.

Platypus said:
I rolled my eyes at the hype myself until I played through one.. now no other amp is even close in my opinion.

The only setup that I like better than a MkIIC+ is TWO of them strapped together in stereo with double slaves! :twisted: :shock:

DSC02628.jpg

Platypus said:
that picture is so gratuitous lol, I love it though :)

You should have heard it. That's what happens when you have Boogie C+ friends that live close enough to participate in such a mad scientist type experiment. ......Talk about seeing from the mountain top :D. Sadly, this is only a snapshot in time, as I cannot play this rig at will. The MkI has since been sold and two of the theiles + the Coliseum and halfback belong to "lesterpaul". I was as bad as Tim Taylor on "Home Improvement" that day: (What we need guys, is MORE POWER :lol: :lol: ).

Sorry if this sounds newbish... but what can a MKIIC+ do that a MKIV can't?

ruso said:
Sorry if this sounds newbish... but what can a MKIIC+ do that a MKIV can't?

It's sort of like asking why artificial sweetener can't taste exactly like sugar. Though it's engineered that way, there's a subtle yet profound difference. To me the key difference is voicing. The IV has a more modern voice, while the C+ sounds more "organic", more musical to me. While the IV covers more ground and can come extremely close to the C+, there's a texture to the C+ that I can't get from the IV. I also find that the pots on the guitar have a greater affect on the sound with the C+.

It's also a matter of taste. Some people prefer modern sounding amps, whereas I find more use in the urgent and brash '80s voice of the C+. I do have fun with the IV, but it always feels like a day trip, and I find myself going back home to the C+.

So to answer your question, IMO, it's not so much what each amp can do, but more the subtle differences in the way they do it that differs most.

thunderkyss said:
So, when we're talking Mark II C+, we're talking Petrucci, maybe Santana... is that it??
They're actually most famous from Metallica's MOP and AJFA albums. That's not to say they're metal amps only. Keith Richards used 'em too.

i think we're talking about a very versatile amp... and it's the case for any mesa, considering what i can read on this forum, but also when i see so many different bands with so many different styles using mesa's amp...

people often are very "closed-mind" (is it correct ?)... they tought that kind of gear is for that kind of style... stupid... i heard so many time don't use a tele 72 for metal... but when my bass player takes my guitar and plays slayer or metallica i always think "wow that's something" :D

i don't know how to "label" chris spencer from Unsane, but he plays tele and recto and he sounds awesome...

Latest posts

Back