WHY IS MY TONE GETTING SUCK OUT?!?!?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrt

Reaction score
****!!!

I was lovin the stiletto with its raw tone, but I plugged in a DLS echotap, and BOOM there goes the tone????

I read the manual over and over, and searched all over the net.?

Its a series loop, but all my amps have a series loop, and all my amps work well with this pedal!

Is this normal?

I've noticed that loops (wether serial or parallel) digest certain pedals better than other. A boss DD6 works great with my DR either outfront or in the loop. The Ibanez DE7 that I currently own makes a good paper weight. It doesn't work well in front or in the loop.

Clutch71 is right, I also own the stiletto deuce and a month ago I was looking around for a new delay and chorus. Believe it or not I wound up buying both the echo tap and dls chorus vibe. I wound up returning both of them. The effects themselves sounded fine but neither worked well in my loop. I cant say that I noticed any tone suck but for some reason both of them added some breakup to my sound. If playing on the clean channel my sound would breakup a bit, kind of like adding just a bit of gain to my signal. I found if I lowered the effects loop knob on the rear of the unit, it wouldnt be so bad, but that defeated the purpose because you could hardly hear the effect.
I wound up buying a few more analog chorus and delay effects and everyone of them did basically the same thing. Im not sure if the analog effects circuitry cant handle the effects loop or vice-versa.
The only thing I can suggest but Im not sure at all if it will work is possibly try putting a lower gain tube in the effects loop tube socket v4. This may work but I dont know, so consult mesa on this one.
To finish this up, I wound up ditching the idea of analog effects in my loop and eventually again, believe it or not, I wound up giving the analogman high cut mod dd-6 a try and couldnt be happier. My quest for a delay is over,, its almost like it was made for my deuce. Awsome.
I wound up with a regular old boss chorus because I dont use chorus all that much and it sounds nice and clear on my rig.
P.S. ive tried many other solid state delays and chorus's from different manufacturers and all of them worked fine in the loop of my deuce.
My problems only started when I decided to try analog in my loop.

^^ thanks for the info!

thats a BIG help!

I use the stiletto for the raw gain. and when it was cranked and I steped on the echo tap, it just sucked a ton of the crunch tones out?

I'll have to try a new pedal, or different ones.

witch delay did you end up with?

I wound up with the analogmans boss dd-6 high cut mod. Honestly, its a great pedal. If you get a chance to try the regular dd-6,, the high cut mod gives you a 3 way toggle switch which gives you 2 more sounds.
The 3 way toggle goes > dark, normal, darkest. All it does is cuts some of the high end off the repeats which makes it sound very analog like.
I highly recommend it.
And the chorus pedal I wound up with is simply the boss ce-5. Not a bad chorus pedal. I doubt it will please the die hard analog fans though. It does its job clearly with plenty of chorus sounds without going over the top.
And most importantly it works very well with my stiletto deuce.
I just got tired of buying and selling analog pedals because everyone says they are the best. They may be but they didnt work well with my rig.
I decided to spend my money on some great overdrives instead which run in front of my amp with no problems at all.

Unless you've got to have a pedal you might try the Rocktron Xpression. I use it with all my boogies including the Stiletto and find it very transparent with no tone suckage that I've ever noticed. New around $300 but have seen them used on ebay around $200.

mesa fx loops are really hot. lots of pedals don't have enough headroom.

MJ Slaughter said:
Unless you've got to have a pedal you might try the Rocktron Xpression. I use it with all my boogies including the Stiletto and find it very transparent with no tone suckage that I've ever noticed. New around $300 but have seen them used on ebay around $200.

very cool!

I have the Xpression also, I'm heading to try it out right now!

All I need when I play live is just a bit of delay.

MJ Slaughter..

Thanks a ton!! :!: :!: :!:

I just plugged the rocktron in and it works perfect!(I was going to e-bay it)

The loop in the stiletto seems like only works well with digital effects?

I tried a few other Analog pedals, and they just dont do it.

But thats to all you guys. Its been a while since I've used mesa. Glad I'm back with it.

Latest posts

Back