Why does boogie like the Flab so much?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibanez4life SZ! said:
I have also given this quite a bit of thought, and came up with a fairly rational explanation...maybe someone will agree.

It all really depends on the how the amp manufacturer looks at the tone stack and how consumers will use it. With other amps, where you can crank the bass to 10 and begin to beg a fat tone (ala Marshall, for one common example), the amps sound big with the bass high. Anything before then makes the tone seem thin.....I'd also say unusable, but in a different way. No one wants a thin tone.

Boogie, on the other hand, takes it to a new level. Instead of having the unusable level at the beginning, they start their bass knob at a level that is already very close to the "fat" point. From there, if someone requires more bass for a certain style....many modern styles overabuse bass quite a bit...it is there for the taking. I find this approach much more useful...as I said...no one wants a thin tone...with a boogie, the bass knobs doesn't really allow that.

For the record, I can only speculate at what Mesa's true intentions in design are.....but this seems logical to me :)
Didn't you mentioned you were like 17-years-old? :)

To me, MESA amp are versatile, but they do have their trade-offs for being versatile. If set wrong, they could sound flabby. They're not the most instant gratification unless they're set to your liking. My $0.02

the mesa bass can get in the way IMHO. i have a Slim smooth pedal coming. I'd like to try that pot value change, that would be an easy one to try. athnks for all the info

jamme61 said:
it seems to me that every boogie I have ever owned has needed the bass control to be set off, or very low. I have had MKI, MIV, Recto single ,double,Lonestar, tremoverb, Express, and all need the Bass to be handled with care what is boogie thinking? what is the benefit of adding so much bass to the amp? It seems your always struggling with it, I think that's why they added the EQ and contour pot , to help with that, but why not design the amp with less boogie Flab Bass. They could easily change some of the caps in the amp to get rid of this right? maybe make it swichable, boggie Flab or Boogie lean. Then we wouldn't have to send the amp to trace(nice guy) or buy a smooth and slim pedal or go crazy trying to dial something out that don't want to leave(this reminds me of my MKIV OH the PAIN) I need a boogie on a diet, maybe that would be the stiletto right? still get rid of all the extra flab, please! anyone agree? or hate me for saying it?

I totally agree with you. The distortion to be less fizzy, no flab, and an adjustable bias that changes equaly on the bold/spongy, diode,tube.

Jak0lantern01 said:
If that's true about the Mark IV being flabby also (it's the reason why I'm looking away from my recto), perhaps the Stiletto is the answer. I've been meaning to get to the store to try a Stiletto, and that's why I refuse to lay out cash for a Mark since no stores keep them stocked to test.

If your not happy with the Mesa voicings I would look towards Soldano or Peavey. They are voiced more like Mesa and much better IMHO.

smooth&slim pedal is a nice tool with my mesa. I read where these things work and it does. You lose a little volume which = less gain, but adjust the gain a little and your there. It's passive (no batteries) and about $5.00 worth of parts inside but does the job. On my blues setting on the 5:25 I still have to put the mids on 0 and can only run the bass on 10 o'clock but it works. have to check it out with the band. I wish i had this thing when I had my MKIV, I think I might have been able to get a good r2 sound.

Latest posts

Back