Why did gibson discontinue Faded Les Pauls?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MopHead

Reaction score
I just got a faded les paul tobacco burst standard (satin finish)
And also just heard from a friend that they are discontinuing this specific model?
Anyone have any ideas why? It is about 6-700$ cheaper than a regular standard (im guessing because of the finish) but sounds just as good imo.
Is it inferior? something wrong ? just asking in case im holding onto a guitar that might be worth nothing tomorrow..
Anyone know?

As a former faded SG owner, these are MY OPINIONS please do not take offense. I think the faded series is a black mark on the companies catalog. I understand making some guitars in the 500-900 range with fewer bells and whistles/ornamentation and features but lets be real.

I ordered the guitar through a local dealer. It came in with a piss poor setup(per usual from Gibson) and a gig bag. The owner agreed to shave and slot the nut correctly because it was un-playable the way it was. Then I noticed that all of the frets from the 9th to the 22nd had horrible fret work on the under side and stuck out to the point were it was tearing my hand up! The dealer refused to do anymore work because he said that the weather may play a factor in the fretboard shrinking... Well after setting it up and intonation the instrument sounded either very bright or way too muddy. The pickups are supposed to be 490T so I can only guess it had sub-par volume and tone pots and perhaps some messed up wiring. I trudged along with her for a year or so before the feedback issue and tone fiasco made my decision clear. I was luck because it was won of the rare ones with moon inlays and a couple guys had a bidding war on ebay. I lost $200 but it was better than keeping it.

Gibson should not charge $700 for a guitar with no finish(the most expensive part), shitty tin tuners, squealing electronics, and worthless workmanship just because it was made in the USA. A Korean Epiphone Les Paul Custom for 500 would have been a superior choice BAR NONE. Good riddens. Every other guitar manufacturer has found a way to sell a "decent" guitar in that range. Why Gibson?

The Faded Les Pauls had a very different finish than the Faded SGs, though I'm still not a fan of the finish.
I have heard from many people that the Faded Les Pauls were incredible sounding guitars, better than Les Paul Standards. They were a good deal as well.
I imagine they stopped selling them because they weren't profitable enough.

fair enough,
and that sucks that the faded sg were **** but i have to say the faded les paul standard is great and sounds awesome,
really the only knock agaisnt it is that finish is not as the nice but other than that i think it plays just as well imo.
Well good to know, thanks guys.

Being an owner of this guitar, I can tell you I love it. And as for the finish I like it better than most other Les Pauls with the flat burst look to it, not glossy and smudgy. Mine does have a ding in it though so I might try to send it in to get a new paintjob...And one of the screws that supports the bridge is like stuck in place

Latest posts

Back