Who's an expert on fuses?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
My power tubes kicked the bucket the other night a couple of hours before a show. I had to run out out to Lowes and buy a bunch of fuses.

Thanks to this board, btw, I had the knowledge to do such a thing!

Anyways, I know the fuses have to be 4A, 250V for a Rectifier.

I saw two kinds of the above-mentioned fuses: ACG (or was it AGC?) and MDL (or was it MLD?).........So, to be cautious, I bought both kinds. i plugged in the latter and it worked, after switching out the tubes.

Now, what the heck is the difference between the two???

thanks.

AGC fuses are 'fast-blow' fuses.. MDL are 'slow-blow' fuses.. which Mesa recommends. An AGC fuse will blow faster to protect your equipment whereas an MDL fuse will blow slower so as to not blow needlessly.

MDL is the best choice in this case but I imagine either would have worked, you'd probably just blow AGC fuses faster and needlessly.

thanks!!!! exactly what i wanted to hear! good thing i put in the mdl that night (only b/c the packet brought more quantity).

Are these the same in an RK II?????

Possible dumb question but... I have to ax...... :roll:

Slow Blow are generally for circuits that have high inrush currents (and other reasons). That is, higher current when the circuit is energized. Unless specially designed, circuit currents may be several times steady state when turned on.

I wouldn't recommend Slow Blow unless specifically called for.

Platypus is right though, Mesa specifically calls for Slow blow. I was looking for those words on the packaging and instead found MDL and ACG. I now understand MDL=Slow blow.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest posts

Back