Whoo-Hoo !!!!! My Roadster is in.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SimpleMind said:
Congratulation. Sounds like you like the amp a lot. Do you thinks its possible to get a Malmsteen tone out of it? I am considering to buy it too but am a little worried if the amp sounds too fuzzy and lacks definition when playing for example Malmsteen.

You would probably be better off with a Mark IV or even a Stiletto (I think Malmsteen used 50W Marshalls, the Stiletto ACE IMO will eat most Marshalls for lunch). The Roadster is still a Recto, and what might be enough definition for me may not be for others (like Malmsteen).

G.I.G., My Power Cord has (had) the clamp as well. I just screwed it back into the shell so I don't loose it.

Dom

I have a Roadster myself that I love, picked it last week. To get the best rich, tone out of this beast should I turn the "Master" level all the way up and use the "Output" as the volume control or the other way set "Output" all the way up and use the channel's "Master" as the volume? Which one gives me the highest gain out of say channel 4 on "Vintage"?

Also, which pedal are you guys using with this great amp to boost the gain?

RoadsterAbuser said:
I have a Roadster myself that I love, picked it last week. To get the best rich, tone out of this beast should I turn the "Master" level all the way up and use the "Output" as the volume control or the other way set "Output" all the way up and use the channel's "Master" as the volume? Which one gives me the highest gain out of say channel 4 on "Vintage"?

Also, which pedal are you guys using with this great amp to boost the gain?

Try your channel master at 11:30 and use output master to adjust volume.. I think that's what you're after. 11-11:30 is the sweet spot on the DR volume, not sure about roadster but im sure its the same.

What kind of boost do you want? The rectos benefit from a midboost OD like the tubescreamer to smooth up and tighten your tone for leads.

Thanks for the reply. I have a boss ME-50 and I use the OD-1 on that but it's really not that great. I thought about the Tube Screamer but wanted to ask before I got it in case there was something better you guys used. I thought about the Maxon OD-9.

I was also looking into a multi effects like the G-Major.

RoadsterAbuser said:
Thanks for the reply. I have a boss ME-50 and I use the OD-1 on that but it's really not that great. I thought about the Tube Screamer but wanted to ask before I got it in case there was something better you guys used. I thought about the Maxon OD-9.

I was also looking into a multi effects like the G-Major.

The "BB-Preamp" -- It's more transparent than the Tubescreamer. But I also have a Tube Screamer as at times I do want that colored tone.

RoadsterAbuser said:
To get the best rich, tone out of this beast should I turn the "Master" level all the way up and use the "Output" as the volume control or the other way set

Bypass the loop! Use the channel masters as level controls!

macho1676 said:
Hi Dom,
what's your setting<?????
Thanx

I pretty much start with the EQ straight up at 12:00 (all channels) and tweak from there. The gain really needs to stay under 2:00 ish IMO or the amp gets too loose for me in ch 3 & 4, and don't be afraid of the Mids, mine are at about 11:00-12:00 in those channels. My Reverb is on in all channels, from lush on 1 to "just there" on 4.

Channel master on ch 4 Modern is around 9:30 - just under 10:00. Presence falls in around 9:00 - 10:00. I like Diodes here. DO NOT over-do the Bass.
Ch 3 Vintage is a little less Mids, a hair more Gain and Presence to suit (usually under 12:00) and Channel Master 11:00 - 11:30ish, Tube Rectified.
Ch 2 Brit is usually Gain around 3:00 with the channel Master low, and pushing the mids up to 1:00 give or take. Watch the Treble here, IMO it can add gain. This channel also sounds good dropping the gain down under 11:00 and cranking the master (it's loud), and tweaking the EQ further, always Tube Rectified.
Ch 1 is great in all modes IMO and it is hard for me to settle here. Tweed is awesome, Fat is, well, fat, and Clean is a big, big improvement from my Triple. I like Diodes here as well.

Have fun,

Dom

domct203 said:
Channel 3 Vintage seems identical to the Triple's ch 2 (orange), but seems to have a little more "cut" to it.

Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for. I've had the 2 and 3 ch triples, and I used the orange modes exclusively with a front end boost. The 2 ch was too smooth and spongy for me, but the 3 ch was perfect. More "cut" sounds exactly what I'm looking for, but with the super clean and all the trimmings.

73h Nils said:
I just got my Genz Benz cab on Sunday and I've been thoroughly messing with the eq on Channels 3 and 4, and I'm finding it really hard to get a good, defined power chord chug, if you know what I mean. Does the amp have to be really loud to achieve this? My settings, for Channel 3/4 are the same ones JP had on his Road King in 2004. I pushed the treble and rolled back the bass, and it still seems really "boomy/sluggish". I have the Master for Channel 3/4 on 10:30-11:00 and the Output is at like, 8 o'clock. It's loud enough to shake the doors and sh!t, so I guess I just have to mess with the eq (and Diode/Recto Tracking). The cleans in channel 1/2 are godly, though. 8)

Output at 8 o'clock is really low though. You'll need to bring it up more...

KH Guitar Freak said:
73h Nils said:
I just got my Genz Benz cab on Sunday and I've been thoroughly messing with the eq on Channels 3 and 4, and I'm finding it really hard to get a good, defined power chord chug, if you know what I mean. Does the amp have to be really loud to achieve this? My settings, for Channel 3/4 are the same ones JP had on his Road King in 2004. I pushed the treble and rolled back the bass, and it still seems really "boomy/sluggish". I have the Master for Channel 3/4 on 10:30-11:00 and the Output is at like, 8 o'clock. It's loud enough to shake the doors and sh!t, so I guess I just have to mess with the eq (and Diode/Recto Tracking). The cleans in channel 1/2 are godly, though. 8)

What are the odds!

The first time I log in in a month. The first thread I read. The day I'm selling my Roadster. A 2 year old REVIVED thread, nonetheless and someone has quoted me! Yes, I know 8o'clock is sickeningly low. Don't really get many chances to bring that sucker up, and I never have time to use it when I'm away at school, anyway. So it's going.

I'm gonna' miss it, though.

73h Nils said:
KH Guitar Freak said:
73h Nils said:

What are the odds!

The first time I log in in a month. The first thread I read. The day I'm selling my Roadster. A 2 year old REVIVED thread, nonetheless and someone has quoted me! Yes, I know 8o'clock is sickeningly low. Don't really get many chances to bring that sucker up, and I never have time to use it when I'm away at school, anyway. So it's going.

I'm gonna' miss it, though.

Oh dear. Granted, the Roadster is one of the better sounding amps at low volumes. A lot of valve amps aren't going to sound good at low volumes. DON'T SELL HER!!!

Back