Who said they got a $249 discount on a RK at GC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I thought I read a post here that said some guy got a RK series 2 at a Guitar Center and they gave him a $249 discount... Or am I just dreaming that up? Who was that and how can I get that discount?

tele_jas said:
I thought I read a post here that said some guy got a RK series 2 at a Guitar Center and they gave him a $249 discount... Or am I just dreaming that up? Who was that and how can I get that discount?
it was probably Petrucci, Hetfield, or Hammet :)

wildealien said:
tele_jas said:
it was probably Petrucci, Hetfield, or Hammet :)

Well, actually, they wouldn't get a discount either. Boogie doesn't provide gear to their endorsers.

CudBucket said:
Well, actually, they wouldn't get a discount either. Boogie doesn't provide gear to their endorsers.

Endorsers do get a discount, though. ;)

I know a dealer who sells below what Mesa's pricing list is. I bought my brand new 4x12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet for $700 and a Rectifier 2x12 f0r $400. He'd probably sell you the RK 2 for about $2000 + tax, but you would have to purchase it in person as he will not discuss prices over the phone :wink:

I find this pricing shocking.

In the Toronto area Mesa products are discounted at most shops. I have purchased 3 new Mesa's in the last year and got at least 15% discount on each one. That was without even any arm twisting. I'm sure if I had tried I could have got more off as this was the fist price they presented to me but the price sounded fair and the dealer has to make money too.

brianf

When I went to try and do an even trade with my RK1 for a RK2, I got to see in the computer what the cost to guitar center is for a new RK....it was around $1600, so the markup is pretty high considering that a new RK cost $2500.

I have no knowledge of the agreement between Mesa and any authorized retailer, but with that kind of markup, I'm sure that a retailer could easily sell a Mesa for below the list price at the expense of loosing some profit, but possibly gaining more customers.

I've been told though that if Mesa finds out that the certain dealer is not complying with the fixed price agreement they'll withdraw their product line from that dealer or something like that. but since I'm not a mesa boogie employee but rather a customer: Bloodstone, where is that store located ? :lol: (keeping my fingures crossed I'm nearby...).

broknstuff said:
I've been told though that if Mesa finds out that the certain dealer is not complying with the fixed price agreement they'll withdraw their product line from that dealer or something like that. but since I'm not a mesa boogie employee but rather a customer: Bloodstone, where is tha

That's called price fixing and is against the law, at least it is in canada.

brianf

brianf said:
broknstuff said:
I've been told though that if Mesa finds out that the certain dealer is not complying with the fixed price agreement they'll withdraw their product line from that dealer or something like that. but since I'm not a mesa boogie employee but rather a customer: Bloodstone, where is tha

That's called price fixing and is against the law, at least it is in canada.

brianf

That's just what I've been told when I bought it. I'm the furthest thing from an expert on it, but wouldn't price fixing be when 2 companies/distributors selling the same product agree to set the price, while in this case its just one manufacturer saying that they'll only sell their product to a distrubutor if they agree to sell it at a certain point? I'm not asking to be a smart *** or anything like that, just genuinely curious/interested.

I would also agree with brianf.

Since the most important effect of such measure is that competing dealers are not allowed to sell under a certain fixed price, this could be deemed as an anticompetitive arrangement.

However, Mesa is probably enjoying a carveout from the general rule of law which forbids such price arrangements. Probably their market share or total turnover is too low to be considered relevant from a competition standpoint.

Who knows...?

When I bought my RK1 just before the series 2 came out I recieved a brochure explaining the Pro-Net pricing. I think the idea was to stop the big retailers from putting the little guy out of business by underselling them everytime. Obviously it doesn't apply here in Canada because I got just over $600 off + no tax. It took me 2 hours to get that deal but I think they were more than happy to get rid of it. Judging by the amount of dust on it the RK had probably been sitting there for over a year. Also, the RK blew 2 el34s and several fuses while I was trying it out. I figured out that the power cord wasn't inserted properly and the amp was turning on and off rapidly causing the tubes and fuses to blow. Obviously I didn't let them know that I had discovered this. I'm sure they gave me the huge discount because they assumed they were getting rid of a problem amp. So far, since I've had the amp (3 months) no problems :wink:

BTW someone posted that the dealer cost on a RK was $1600 and the rest was mark up :shock: I'd belive it! I used to work at a furniture store and the owner would let us buy things at cost. I bought my lazyboy for $200.....on the floor......$799.

Same thing with Audio Video gear. I get most of it at 1/2 of the retail cost. I usually sell it for 75 to 85% of retail to make up for manhours that I can't charge for. There is always a wire with a screw through it, or mis-marked, etc.

It sounds like I need to start carrying furniture too. :D

Retail is not an easy business. There is always someone willing to undercut your prices, people shoplifting, inventory sitting there not selling. Employees need paychecks, rent is due, I forgot to pay the electric bill, etc. The markup is not all profit, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back