Who owns both a Dual and Triple Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfguitar!

Reaction score
I have an early Dual, but I am really starting to appreciate the Triple Rectifier. My jam partner has a TR, and I must say I am stunned at how cool it sounds. Much different that mine. These amps are the best bang for the buck out there. For heavy modern rock that is. There's botique stuff that's two and three times the cost, and that stuff doesn't really sound any better. Not for the price. The Triple has a deep and heavy groovy "drag" to it. It "lugs" along in a different fashion than my Dual. It's a deeper sound.. Does anyone understand what I'm saying here? I can dial in my Dual to get great heavy rhythm sounds but the Triple is totally different in its voicing. What is the difference in voice is attributed to? I might add we both have the exact same cabinet and both play Les Pauls that have very similar pickups.

3 things:

1) try both heads through the same cab, same guitar, same cables, and most importantly same settings
2) if there is a difference, it would be attributed to the 150watts giving the amp a lot of extra headroom
3) he may have a different version than your recto...what year/serial # is each of your heads? Different years had difft. circuit board revisions...

Elpelotero, you said
he may have a different version than your recto...what year/serial # is each of your heads? Different years had difft. circuit board revisions...

My Dual is a '92 R0109. His Triple is probably no more than three years old. I thought your '05 was a Triple.. So I see you have three Duals.. Have you spent much time with a TR to really be familiar with the variance in the two sounds (DR vs. TR)?

I guess I'm wondering why you'd ask about circuit board, I'm comparing two different amplifier models..

Hey dude. I owned both a 3 channel Dual and a 3 channel Triple for a while. They are very similar, but definitely do have their own sound. The Triple does have more boom to it for sure. I also found that the lower gain settings on the Triple would produce more gain. Like the Dual gain on 2:00 would be the same as the Triple on 12:00 - 12:30. That could have been the tubes though. Definitely not a ton of difference, but some for sure.

I am using a Les Paul that runs straight into the amplifier playing mostly in the bridge position. This pickup reads around 13.

My '92 Dual settings are as follows:

It's running 6L6's
Channel select is Red
Channel style select is Org to Modern
Orange Channel Gain is on Variable Hi Gain (Normal)
Power set to Bold
Rectifier select is vacuum tubes
Effects loop off
Cab is plugged into 8-16 Ohms.

Amplifier settings (in terms of o' clock) are:
Master =12
Presence =11
Bass =10
Mid =2:30
Treble =1
Gain =10

So any recommendations on how to dial in a deeper and heavier "Triple sound"?

I think the problem may be in your settings.

You running a lot of mids compared to very little bass and gain. All the other knobs are pretty normal..

Think of mids as the "feel" of the guitar in your hands. Too many mids make the guitar/amp feel very stiff, whereas fewer mids make it feel more "liquidy/creamy." The chug obviously comes out more when you knock mids down. This will allow the other controls to breathe better and have more of an influence in your tone.

Don't cut the mids completely out, but at least drop 'em back a little from 230 and up your bass and gain to compensate for the boost in mids.

From what I've read here, the 2 channels are brighter and higher in presence than the three channels...much more of a "solo head"

For a heavy rythmn on Duals, Mesa recommends, and I have heard it here quite often too, to drop the presence...some run it almost at 0.

Give that a shot....for a two channel, it seems you're running your very high. Dropping it should get it closer to the 3 channel sound.

Fantastic, that seems logical. I think the other variable is the different tunings I utilize, which typically range from Std. to Drop D, D, and Drop D tuned down one full step. Making these adjustments often results in slight knob tweaking and one can lose their sound in this process.

What about the remainder of the settings.. Are you also on the Red channel? And Org to Modern channel style, etc.? I do not have a footswitch for switching back and forth from clean to dirty, I simply make adjustments with my pick attack to compensate for this. So I dial in the amp and leave it. After all, I didn't buy it for it's cleans! :wink:

ibanez4life SZ,

From what I've read here, the 2 channels are brighter and higher in presence than the three channels...much more of a "solo head"

For a heavy rythmn on Duals, Mesa recommends, and I have heard it here quite often too, to drop the presence...some run it almost at 0.

Give that a shot....for a two channel, it seems you're running your very high. Dropping it should get it closer to the 3 channel sound.

I agree the two channels are brighter, and I have fooled with the presence recently, that may be why I lost my sound. I will dump that and roll back the mids today. I'm still getting to know this amp and while Ive had it dial in very well at times, I keep forgetting where the sweet spot it. Time for a notepad!

OK, if anyone cares.. I made some adjustments and WOW! So nice! It's sounding deeper and more agressive. Thanks.. I am using a THD Hotplate that is dialed in at -8db with the bright and deep switches clicked up. Here is the new set up.

Dual Rectifier amp settings (in terms of o' clock) are:
Master =High noon Baby!
Presence =basically off
Bass =12:30
Mid =10
Treble =1:30 - 2
Gain =1:30

All this still applies as well..

It's running 6L6's
Channel select is Red
Channel style select is Org to Modern
Orange Channel Gain is on Variable Hi Gain (Normal)
Power set to Bold
Rectifier select is vacuum tubes
Effects loop off
Cab is plugged into 8-16 Ohms.

Back