Who inspired you to play a boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife - go figure.

Back in the mid / late 80's when we were poor college kids, she discovered at a gig that when I told her I "played guitar," I wasn't just BS'ing. We wound up funding my first real strat by 88 or so. We saw a dude playing a boogie around 90 or so (probably a Caliber at that time?) and both agreed that's where I should be. So, a years later the Mark IV - then a Mav, now a LSS. Sold the Mav like an idiot.

Real easy when the woman in your life is on board for the ride... see, she doesn't like all that trebly high end crap noise - she digs warm tones.

Metallica all the way. The And Justice For All tone blew me away when I first heard it in '93. I don't really seek that tone, as I feel it really only fits that particular album with all it's aggression. The uber scooped mids don't fit my playing style, but that "root" tone is stronger than all :twisted:

What's funny about this thread is the diversity of the artists that inspired each of us and the radically different sound each artist produced yet at the heart of it all was a Mesa. Nice.

carlosasi said:
What's funny about this thread is the diversity of the artists that inspired each of us and the radically different sound each artist produced yet at the heart of it all was a Mesa. Nice.

True! For being the "Metal" sound on line 6 amps Mesas are really diverse in ther tones

Kinx said:
then i heard weezer - blue album. i was immediately hooked on that extremely fat, heavy distorted yet clear rhytm tone. when i've read that they used exclusively mark I for recording it i bought older mk I reissue almost instantly.

blue album weezer for me too! when i was in high school that was one of my favorite albums, and i found on their website that it was all recorded with a 60w MK1. so... i went on ebay and found a S.O.B. head - close enough for me at the time, and within my price range :)

A shorth answer: Metallica Puppets and Justice for all.

The intro for the title track on Puppets and intro for Blackend really did it for me.

Being Danish I did not find many Mesa/Boogies around here in Denmark but could hear and read about it enough to driving myself mad. From 1989 to 2004 I was on the hunt trying god how many combinations just to nail it. Metallica sounded killer and even on shitty bootlegs the tones stuck out a mile.

The local shop got a Mesa Maverick combo in and good bluesy, rock tones but metal gain? Then there was for a brief while a Mesa DC5 head and 4*12 which sounded kind of right but by next visit it was gone.

In 2001 I got the Mesa Formula preamp and I did like the clean channel and some of the dirty sounds but no that was not a keeper.

In 2004 something I read an ad in a weekly paper that a Mesa/Boogie Quad was for sale which had MKII-III gain stage and being a Metallica nut I quickly arranged to go and try/hear it.

I bought it and I'm still using it. I just dig the tones to much. Lead 2 is set on a classic Metallica setting but I do play other stuff.

I guess it was my personal choise at first. Then I discovered that Allan Holdsworth used them which was kind of cool. A while ago I noticed that John Scofield use a Mark I. That is awesome since he is one of my favourite guitarists and I love his tone. I guess I chosed an amp that sounded like what I was looking for and then I discoverd that my inspirations also use/used Boogie.

Two words -- Neil Young. Back in the '80s there were no Mesa dealers in my area. So, on pure faith, I ordered a loaded Mark III 1X12 combo. Here, faith didn't work out so well. Never got that thing set up so that I could go from clean to rhythm 2 to lead without getting something like a car horn on one or more modes. It wasn't the amp for me, and it actually caused me to stop playing for two decades. Then, I stopped by a local Mesa dealer music store (we have them now) recently with a friend and played on a used Nomad. It was like the world opened up again. Bought it on the spot. A few months later, it is like the two decades off hadn't happened. Oh, the loaded Mark III? It sold quickly for TWICE what I paid for the Nomad. And the Nomad was what I had originally thought the Mark III would be, so I guess all's well that ends well. But, darn it, I've been playing guitar (on and off) since 1959, and I can't figure out how anybody gets that Mark III to work right!

Dolebludger said:
Two words -- Neil Young. Back in the '80s there were no Mesa dealers in my area. So, on pure faith, I ordered a loaded Mark III 1X12 combo. Here, faith didn't work out so well. Never got that thing set up so that I could go from clean to rhythm 2 to lead without getting something like a car horn on one or more modes. It wasn't the amp for me, and it actually caused me to stop playing for two decades. Then, I stopped by a local Mesa dealer music store (we have them now) recently with a friend and played on a used Nomad. It was like the world opened up again. Bought it on the spot. A few months later, it is like the two decades off hadn't happened. Oh, the loaded Mark III? It sold quickly for TWICE what I paid for the Nomad. And the Nomad was what I had originally thought the Mark III would be, so I guess all's well that ends well. But, darn it, I've been playing guitar (on and off) since 1959, and I can't figure out how anybody gets that Mark III to work right!

wow! 1959, I bow to you sir. It's so nice to hear from the older guys (I started playing guitar in 1964 .... chuckle)

I am glad you found a Mesa amp to work for you. It's a fantastic company that I certainly don;t mind giving my money to. Their customer support is the best I have ever known.

I wonder what may have been wrong with your Mark III. It's a dream amp for me, I think it has it all. It get it to sound very much like my old Fender Tremolux and Twin from the olden days. AND I get it to sound like something else too. It truly suits my mood every time.

It was Albert Jarvinen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJEU8gLMo4&feature=related

In this playback performance you can see 1x15 Mark IIB combo. The record was released in 1980.

James Hetfield (Master of Puppets) and John Petrucci (Metropolis Pt. 2). Amazing Tones. I can just listen to those albums for the rhythm guitar tones all day (although petrucci's lead tone is fantastic... fatal tragedy solo omg).

A friend that owned an early Mark series (forget model) back in the early eighties.
Carlos Santana.
Kings X, Ty Tabor (tones on DogMan)
Metallica
LOG

:mrgreen:

When I was in my early 20s I was looking to step up and buy my first tube amp and I really didn't know **** about gear. I very nearly bought an Marshall Valvestate of some sort, but I didn't have the scratch at the time.

Anyway, shortly after that some dudes flew some planes into buildings and I was sent overseas (I'm in the army). I had a lot of time to kill, and a bank account that was quickly growing. I spent about 3 months reading up on gear... particularly what all of my favourite bands use. I noticed a common theme in that most of them used a Mesa of some sort at various stages of their career... usually the part of their career that had the tone I liked the most. The choice became clear, and I came home to a shiny new Rectifier Pre, 2:100, 6U rack and 4x12 waiting at my parents place.

In short, there was no one specific band or artist that inspired me to play a Boogie. It was more of a collective effort.

Kinx said:
i really dig Petrucci's tone (especially on 6 digrees of inner turbulance), same for Andy Timmons
First time I heard a recto was when a buddy was using one he got on loan from Eric Shenkman's (spin doctors) guitar tech. It sounded amazing and I wanted one badly from that point on. A year or so later Andy Timmons was doing a clinic for the local dealer and I was working for the classic rock radio station two blocks from the shop. That was right around the time Images and Words was making the rounds amongst the local musicians. Andy was fantastic during the interview and whipped out a notebook with all of Petrucci's setting from Images and Words and made a copy for me. 15+ years later I still have those settings in a box somewhere and a pic of Andy, the rep, the guitar department manager and little old me.

Metallica meeeehhh

For me it was stryper and anthrax. Soldiers under command, against the law by stryper and among the living by anthrax made me a true believer. It took me 18 years to finally get my self a mark 4 after going through a couple of rectos a roadster and express plus a little stint with the f 50.

I've not been this happy with an amp ever before.

Back